002.

002. the charity shop jacket and birdy's ice cream

AN ARGUMENT rang through the walls of the house as the jordan family tried for one 'practice-run' of a family dinner.

they never had family dinners, not really. when honey had left for hogwarts when she was eleven, many things stopped in the house. any semblance of normality for the family stopped. her dad started sleeping in the another room which they usually left for guests, and her mum was almost never seen out of her office. and if she was, she was seen to be gripping her wand like she wanted to blast a hole into the wall and walk off somewhere else and never return.

michelle jordan was a witch, a normal one. she had a normal job in the ministry in the department of international magical cooperation and had a standard pay with the normal sort of hours. her hair wasn't as curly as honey's, but still had coils falling to her shoulder. her skin was a lighter brown than honey's too, but she had the same brown eyes as honey and lee. she was tall and took to jogging to avoid an argument when she was bothered to. she was the breathing version of normality for a witch- and one wrong glance when she was in muggle clothing and you might have thought she was a muggle too.

elijah jordan, a muggle. he worked as a big banker- and he was dead good at his job. he had a way with numbers that honey clearly hadn't inherited. he had glasses he didn't really need but liked wearing because they made his clients believe he was smart-looking and was a tad shorter than his wife (though they hadn't addressed each other like that in years) and had dark brown skin- sporting short dreads and was the tiniest bit chubby. when he wasn't yelling at his wife, he sported a smile that made the edges of his eyes crinkle a bit, bringing honey back to fresh and fallen memories of her childhood.

she was stubborn and he was cool-headed. at the young and ripe age, the two twentysomethings had made the worst decision of their lives: getting married and having kids.

they screamed and yelled, and lee and honey faded into the background because nothing could get through the barrier of decibels coming from their lungs as they tore each other apart with sharp-tongued words.

bit by bit, the family dinners turned into a mandatory family dinner once a week... once a month... once in a blue moon... once in never. if her mum was bothered to come back at a normal time (and then not hide up in her office), she'd call the two of them down for dinner and place their plates on the table robotically, then bang a utensil on the kitchen counter and her dad would roar down- his thumping footsteps pushing down the stairs as the distinct sound of a plate being placed on the counter in a forceful manner was sounded. he'd take the plate to the living room, and her mum would march up.

that was the closest thing they'd had to a family dinner in years.

mostly, lee and honey would do it themselves. lee would handle the delicate art of chopping and doing whatever else- making sure everything was prepped and ready and honey would handle the cooking part. every week or so, they'd swap roles but would always do the washing together.

their parents were ghosts- loud ones that shouted but were never seen often.

they were beyond the quirky movie description of a 'dysfunctional family'. they were quite plainly a mess.

it was the reason why they were practising being a 'normal family' at dinner.

they'd been practising a lot of things, actually. her parents had been practising making food together (it hadn't gone well. they'd smashed plates which were beyond the help of the reparo charm) and also sleeping in the same room (they'd compromised by her mum charming the double bed to split in half and be placed as far away from each other as possible. the charm was linked to daylight- so as the the moon rose, the beds would split).