009.

009. murderous tendancies

HONEY HONESTLY could not describe the amount of relief she felt as the words slipped out of hermione's mouth. the two stayed there for a while, simply sitting and murmuring words to each other. it gave honey a nice chance to calm down, for her to finally just sit and not feel like hermione would judge her. it felt nice, sort of fuzzy and warm.

she remembered at the very start of their weird arrangement, hermione had told honey they were friends and honey had simply brushed it off- because no, she didn't really think that- not really. she hadn't understood how to be a friend, or whether she wanted a friend. but as she looked at hermione, who was rambling about something, honey began to smile.

she wouldn't turn soft, no- certainly not. but she could accept the fact her and hermione were friends, and she quite liked the idea right now. she was rusty, so maybe it wouldn't be amazing, but there are only so many things that can happen after you cry to somebody- and most of them in the case of hermione end up with the two of them becoming friends.

"thank you," honey said, her voice still raspy. her legs no longer burned, perhaps they just ached. "for being nice and stuff."

"i'm your friend," shrugged hermione, "it's not like i'm going to be mean to you."

"you won't tell a soul, will you?" honey asked, "i mean- about what i said?"

"of-"

an owl swooped in.

the tawny owl pecked at hermione's sleeve, a piece of parchment wrapped around it's leg. hermione and honey glanced at each other and then back at the parchment on the leg of the owl. the owl gave another swift peck at hermione's sleeve and the dark skinned girl yelped, "yes alright, alright! stop being so pedantic!"

"sounds a bit like you," muttered honey off-handedly.

"quite, you." muttered hermione as she tore the seal off the parchment. honey watched as hermione's eyes scanned the parchment once- then again- then another time. each time, her face morphed more into something else. from confusion, to worry and then to absolute sadness and fear.

"read it," hermione said quietly as she locked with honey's gaze, passing her the piece of parchment. "read it."

honey took the piece of parchment from hermione, and her eyes scanned it.

dear hermione and honour,

we lost. i'm allowed to bring him back to hogwarts.

execution date is to be fixed. beaky has enjoyed london.

i won't forget the help you two gave,

hagrid.

"but... buckbeak's getting executed?" whispered honey. she looked to hermione, "but i thought the hearing-"

"he had it, remember?" hermione replied.

"but i said i was going to help- and... and i said i'd do stuff with you for that and- i didn't do anything why is he thanking me?"

"i believe he's thanking you for taking the time to visit him," hermione mumbled, sending her a comforting look as she added, "it's alright though, you had your own things to do honey- nobody can tell you they aren't valid."