Alfred and the Emotionless(?) Boy wonder?

A little snip I wrote the other day. It's short but I like it. Plus no one will fully get the whole context of it until the rewrites out (sooner than you think), but I get it and I love it.

Dick looked over to the knock at his door, his legs kicked a little where they dangled off the bed.

"Come in."

Alfred stepped in, carrying two cups and a pot of tea. Dick sat up, moving so the man had room to sit. Alfred thanked him, setting the tray between them.

"How are we feeling today, Master Dick?" Alfred poured the tea into both cups, with two spoons of sugar in Dick's and cream in the older's.

"I think I'm getting worse." He grabbed his cup, staring as he stirred the drink. "I was scared yesterday, but I'm not any more. I'm a little confused, but it's like everything been dialed back to 1."

Alfred only nodded, Dick took a sip of his tea before frowning at the cup. "I . . . I can't taste it. Can't smell it." He whispered setting the cup down.

He felt like he should be crying right now. This felt like it was supposed to be sad. It should be scary, or confusing, devastating, something. But it felt like he was asleep, where nothing really mattered.

"Alfred am I human anymore?" Alfred set his cup down, grabbing Dick's hand.

"Can you feel my hand, Master Dick?" Dick nodded, watching Alfred maneuver his hand. "How about my heartbeat?" Dick nodded again and Alfred let him go.

"Can you feel your own heartbeat?" Dick put two fingers to his neck, and a hand over his chest. Just like Alfred's, steady and calm, he felt his own heartbeat.

"I know we haven't technically reached this portion of class, but could you name a non-living object?"

"A rock?"

"That'll do." Alfred chuckled. "Now, Master Dick, could a rock feel my hand or my heartbeat?" Dick shook his head. "Does a rock have a heartbeat?" Dick shook his head again.

Alfred nodded, "By my diagnosis we have just determined that you, Master Dick, are not a rock but in fact alive. And if you are alive, we can also check off multiple species which you are not.

"No tail, which rules out multiple birds and primates. No fur or hide of any kind. 5 opposable fingers, front facing eyes." Alfred tapped his chin, before setting a hand on Dick's shoulder.

"While my biology may be a bit rough, I do believe you are human, Master Dick. Not everyone has experienced what you are going through. While we may not understand exactly what is happening at the moment, we do know that you are Dick Grayson, a healthy 10 year old boy. Who is happily loved by his 2 guardians, who are more than willing to do anything that is needed. Am I understood?"

Dick felt something in his chest unravel, he didn't realize anything was tight to begin with but it felt better. Dick smiled, the first thing he'd felt all day, one that reached his eyes and made his face warm up.

Dick sat up straighter, reaching to throw himself into a hug. "Thank you, Alfred."

"My pleasure." Alfred smiled, releasing the boy. "Now I do say we head down for lunch, heaven forbid we leave Master Bruce waiting." Dick laughed, hopping off the bed.

Is it my best writing? Nope, I'm a little rusty. But do I love it? Absolutely :D

Don't forget to ask questions and leave suggestions!
HAVE A STAR STELLAR DAY WEEK MONTH AND YEAR