SAMPLE - Chapter Four

Start from the beginning

Shock by his statement, I remain silent, speechless.

The truth is, I assumed nobody else would ever have the same perception as me on the matter. Before I can even reply, he holds the door open and motions with his hand for me to exit his suite.

"After you."

~

Mr. Edwards brings me to a very fancy café downtown, and we are treated like royalty. Once we've finished eating breakfast, we head over to my apartment, and I show him to the restroom.

The sink in the kitchen is filled with dishes. This place is an absolute disaster. Embarrassment washes over me. Frantically turning on the faucet, my hand hovers over the sponge, and I become still.

What am I doing?

I'm about to fly all the way across the country with a man I hardly know, a stranger. This is very unlike me. Everything I've ever done in my life has always been planned, well thought out. Now, I'm being reckless. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Feeling a presence behind me, I turn off the faucet, turning around to find Jaxon watching me.

Reading me.

"Do you want something to drink?" I quietly ask.

He shakes his head. "No."

"Are you hungry?"

"No."

"We don't have much food, but I can cook something. I just have to do the dishes first—"

"We've just eaten breakfast," he interrupts, brows furrowed. "What's wrong?"

Mr. Edwards seems to stare right through me. I lower my gaze to the floor, chewing nervously on my hip. Gently placing his finger beneath my chin, he lifts my head.

"What's the matter?"

"It's nothing."

Anger crosses his beautiful features. "What the fuck do you mean, nothing?"

"I just can't believe I'm doing this."

"Ah, yes. I bet you're very dismayed to leave this luxury apartment you've got here."

"Wow." I grimace at him, offended. "Well, not all of us are lucky enough to live in mansions and have private jets as a form of travel."

"Are you ready?"

This is it.

Everything in me warns me to not leave with him. Red flags are raised, and my body ignites a rush of adrenaline.

Am I ready?

"Yes," I reply.

"Wonderful. Do you need help with packing your bags?"

"No, thanks. I think I'm capable of doing that myself—" Suddenly, he heads towards Natalie's room. "Stop."

"I'm assuming this isn't your room?"

With that, he walks towards mine.

Rushing around him, I stand in front of the door, blocking the entrance.

"A little privacy here, Jaxon. I'd like to pack my shit by myself. You can go downstairs or wait in the car."

Slamming his hands against the door, my head between his arms, he locks me in place.

"I do believe I've advised you to not make giving me orders a habit."

Without warning, he pins my arms above my head. His body leans into mine, and the scent of his cologne washes over me. The way he's touching me, the way he smells, this man is irresistible.

I can't get enough.

His lips press against my neck, and a muffled moan escapes me. The tip of his tongue trails over the sensitive skin beneath my earlobe, and I drown in sheer satisfaction.

"Jaxon," I moan, writhing against him. "You have to stop."

"I won't stop," he breathes against my neck. "Not until you're pleading for mercy, until your neighbors know my name."

The moment I attempt to gain back control of my arms, he grips them tighter. I am held hostage.

"It's taking so much self-control for me to not fuck you right against this goddamn door."

His erection grows bigger beneath his dress pants, as he places his knee between my thighs, spreading my legs. The chemistry between us is uncanny, undeniable. My nipples harden, straining against my bra. Arching my back, I press my body closer to his.

When unexpectedly, the front door opens, and Natalie's gaze meets mine.