1 | new girl syndrome

Start from the beginning

"This is nice," Grandma comments, walking up beside me. "What do you think?"

"I like it. It gives off kind of a cozy feeling," I say.

Grandpa walks past Grandma and me and sets his suitcases on the floor. "Why don't you go and check out your room?" he suggests.

"Uh, sure," I say. I readjust my suitcases in my hands before approaching the bottom of the stairs. It's a straight-up staircase, unlike the curved one we had out our old house. I'm gonna miss running up and down the old staircase, but this one will have to do, I guess.

After making it to the second floor, I find my new room almost immediately. I'm a little surprised to find it empty, all expect for a bed, dresser, and a desk. But what did I expect from a room that probably hasn't been lived in for months? I settle my suitcases on the bed before wandering around the room. I discover a window on the left wall hidden behind some dusty curtains. I open the window curiously. It gives me a perfect view of the front yard and street out in front. Not too bad of a view actually, it could have been worse. I could have had a window that faced the next door neighbor's house with a boring view of the side of their house. That would have been awful.

I hear footsteps coming up the stairs as Grandpa followed by Grandma enters into my room.

"Not too shabby, huh?" Grandpa says with a smile.

"It'll do," I say with a somewhat forced smile. I don't exactly know how to feel about all this yet. I guess it hasn't hit me yet that this is it. This is my new home. I'm not going be sleeping in my old bed tonight. I'm gonna be sleeping here, whether I like it or not.

"We'll leave you to fix up your room," Grandma announces. She and Grandpa head back downstairs to get the rest of our luggage out of the car.

I start to take clothes out my suitcases. I place them into separate drawers of my new dresser as a way to organize them. I don't expect them to stay organized for long cause I'm like the least organized person on planet earth when it comes to my room, but at least for now, I can feel like a somewhat organized person.

Beep! Beep!

The sound of a car beeping outside my window grabs my attention. With curiosity, I amble towards the window and peek out. I watch as a police car slows to a stop in front of our house. My grandparents go up to meet with whoever is inside.

I have no idea what the officer would want with my grandparents, but whatever it is, I decide to ask them about it later. After fixing up my room for the time being, I take a little nap before dinner. I'm just too tired from the plane ride to do anything else right now.

Just like everything else this past day and a half, dinner time comes around before I know it, and I find myself eating take-out pizza with my grandparents around our new small, round table. I take this time to ask about what the police officer from earlier wanted.

I finish swallowing a piece of my meat-lovers pizza before asking, "So, what did the police officer from earlier want?" 

My grandma smiles. "Oh, he was just coming to say 'hi.' He heard about some new folks moving into this house and just happened to be in the neighborhood and saw us. He was such a friendly man."

"He also has a daughter around your age," Grandpa adds with a hint of a grin. "Turns out she just came in from Arizona to live with him. You two are gonna be starting school the same day as-a-matter-a-fact."

"That's cool." I smile. I don't really know how to react to that news. I guess it will be nice to not be the only new girl at school, as long as she's nice that is. If she turns out to be some oh-so-perfect snobby girl, then forget it. I guess only time will tell though, just like how it's going to be adjusting and getting accustomed to everything else here. But I'm not one to shy away from a challenge. Sure, it's gonna be rough starting off at a new school with new people in a totally new town, but, in reality, that's really the fun of it all. New experiences are just what I need to add some excitement into my life.