1 | new girl syndrome

Vampires can only fall in love once for they are unchanging. Humans, on the other hand, can fall in love many times until they find the one. I don't know about them, but once my heart fell, it was the start of a beautiful story that would be the beginning of my forever...

Today is going to be a good day I keep telling myself. I toss my head from side to side, allowing the fresh California air to play with my slightly longer than shoulder length brown hair. I'm going to miss doing this on the beach almost every weekend.

Why all the longing thoughts? Well, today is the day my grandparents and I are moving to Washington. I wanted to stay here in California for the rest of my junior and senior year, but fate had other plans. Expenses to live and maintain a home in California have just become too much for my grandparents to keep up with. So, they decided that moving was our only solution. I didn't like the idea of moving at first, but after some thought, the idea of going off to live in some totally new environment has started to grow on me. A little change is always good, right?

"Rebecca!" I hear my grandpa's somewhat scratchy voice call from our car.

I sigh to myself before taking one last longing look at the beautiful blue crashing waves. "I'm going to miss you," I whisper.

"Rebecca!!" he calls again.

"I'm coming!" I yell back. With one final quick glance at the ocean, I turn on my heel and run back towards our family car. When I get close to it, I slow down to a jog.

"I know you wanted to visit longer, but we gotta go, honey," Grandpa apologizes. He's standing by our car impatiently, but from the earnest look on his face, I can tell that he was being honest. He really does wish we could have spent our last day here in California a little longer.

"It's okay," I tell him.

We both hop in the car. Grandma is already inside, waiting patiently for our trip to the airport to continue.

Grandpa starts up the car's engine. He looks back at me in the backseat. "I promise we'll come back and visit the beach every time you have a break from school," he assures me.

I smile at the thought of returning. "Sounds good," I muse.

And with that, we take off down the road and onto the highway. The drive to the airport isn't very long, and before I know it, we're there. I've only been on an airplane maybe once or twice before, but unlike those flights, this flight holds a new meaning. We're flying on this plane to our new home, not to some vacation spot we'll just come back home from a week or two later. This is it. There's no turning back now. Our old house has already been sold, and our new house is now waiting for us in the small town of Forks, Washington.

Similar to the car drive to the airport. The flight to Washington goes by in a flash. It almost feels surreal by the time it hits me that we've actually made it to our destination, our new home.

I don't know what to think when the time finally comes, and I'm standing right in front of our new house. It looks smaller than our old house from the outside. That's for sure.

"Are you gonna come help your grandma and I, or what?" Grandpa laughs from beside our temporary rental car that we used to get here from the airport.

"I'm coming," I say with a roll of my eyes. I walk up to the back of the car and start taking out some suitcases. I pick up two suitcases to take into the house first.

"All set?" Grandpa asks.

I nod before my grandparents and I head towards the house and take our first steps inside. As expected, it's a bit smaller than our old house, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.