Between Life and Death

Start from the beginning

"This is not a sight for you to see daughter, get out now." Hiashi commanded his daughter who flinched but actually didn't move.

Just then his wife came into the room and a hand went to her mouth at the sight of Naruto. The young boy had only had a meal with them not that long ago and there he was with a bloody chest.

"Hannah please take our daughter from here," Hiashi told her.

Hannah agreed with this, this was not something her daughter should see. She took hold of her daughter's shoulders and started to lead her out of the room. They left as two of the healers that worked at the compound ran into the room and closed the door behind them. Hinata couldn't stand it anymore, she turned around and buried her face into her mother's robes and cried her heart out. She had been so scared and then Naruto had saved her and now he might be dying.

Naruto was her first and best friend, he always made her happy and feel better about herself and now because she couldn't fight he had gotten hurt. Hannah only held her daughter trying to sooth her as much as possible. Hinata still could see the blood all over Naruto's body when she closed her eyes and she felt totally helpless.

Hannah cradled her child, every cry brought pain to her heart. She had never heard her daughter cry like this. "It will be okay Hinata, I'm sure he'll be okay they're in there now making sure of that."

"B-b-but w-what if...w-what if..." She chocked out.

"Something tells me that boy won't give up and you shouldn't give up on him either," she said to her and Hinata nodded but she still cried. They waited for over an hour until the doors slid open and her father and the Hokage came out looking tired as were the medical ninjas.

She looked up at them with hope and dread not sure if Naruto was alive or dead. The Hokage looked down at her and he gave her a small smile and a nod of his head. Hinata's eyes watered up knowing that Naruto was alive and rushed to his room to see him. Hannah came up to them also relieved to hear see that the boy had survived.

"How is he?" she asked them.

"The boy seems to just refuse to die," her husband said in a neutral tone but she knew that for him that was actually a joke. She hadn't spent years with him not knowing how he hid his humor at times.

"Thanks to his 'guest' that is inside of him Naruto's healing abilities are greater than normal. He should have been killed by that kunai but he still lived." The Hokage smiled shaking his head at the boy, "he's full of surprises. The wound is closed but the medics want to take him to a hospital tomorrow but he's out of the woods. He has lost a lot of blood and is suffering from chakra exhaustion so it will take him time to recover."

"That is good to know," Hannah looked at the doors to the room, "If he hadn't been there I don't know what would have happened to Hinata..."

Her husband nodded his head, he hadn't been sure of the Hatake boy. He may have been a bit weary of him but after tonight he had a lot to think on.

Hinata meanwhile walked into the room as the medics were packing up. She saw how his chest was all bandaged up and the red stain on the center of it all. He looked kind of pale and he had his mask off, she saw it there in a pile of his clothing and picked it up. She walked over to the small bed of the unused guest room and sat down next to him. She felt a few tears again and touched his hand gently, she held his hand hoping that he could feel it.

He just sat there looking at him, watching over him holding his hand in one hand and his mask in another.

"Hinata-sama," came a gentle tone and she looked over to see Neji there. "You should get some sleep after all that's happened."