Chapter 12 - Mutual Feelings

Start from the beginning

Hels knew exactly who it was, and exactly why he was here. With a sigh, he called out to the other merman.

"It's ok, I'm not gonna hurt you!"

The curious green eyes poked back up again.

"You're Grian's friend... aren't you?"

The head disappeared again, before Scar popped up before Hels, frowning with scepticism, and worry. The stranger then paused for a second, looking a little confused, before ignoring whatever thought he had and speaking.

"He told you about me?"

"I found out." Hels admitted, swinging his legs back and forward over the edge of the dock. "You two seem like really good friends."

He looked up again to notice Scar was still staring at him, like the merman was trying to figure something out. He noticed that Hels was staring back, and cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Uh... sorry. You just... look like someone I know."

It was interesting that a half-merman would know someone who looked like Hels, but he'd long ruled out any possibility that Wels was alive. Besides, aren't there supposed to be loads of people in the world who look like you? It was nothing more than a coincidence.

"But yeah, I guess you could call us good friends..." Scar admitted, before looking up again nervously. "I mean- I've only known him for a month or two... you guys are probably way closer..."

"No... I think you two are kind of different." The pirate replied, smiling a little. "He talks about you differently from how he talks about others."

The brunette's red face and reactions in general were enough to tell Hels that the merman liked his friend back. He could easily tell Scar this, but he'd rather they figure it out themselves without his intervention. It was always funnier that way.

"Well, I better go before Grian comes and yells at me." Hels shrugged, standing up. "Nice meeting you Scar."

Scar didn't really understand how this stranger knew his name, but wasn't able to question it (or ask what his own name was) as the man left immediately afterwards. It certainly wasn't the only confusing thing about him, his strong resemblance to Wels couldn't be ignored.

The merman highly doubted it was Wels's twin. Not only was Hels killed years ago, he was pretty certain his brother would have been a merman too, not a human.

He'd only been 11 when they came across a 17 year old Wels, half dead and suffering with some nasty trident wounds. Once he was alright, the blonde explained what had happened to him, but Scar hadn't heard him mention his twin since.

"Hey Scar... you ok?"

Grian's voice didn't startle him this time, but he didn't expect his friend to arrive early too. Scar simply nodded and smiled back, before reaching his hands up towards the blonde to help him get out of the water.

"Yeah... just thinking." He admitted, deciding not to explain what it was he was thinking about as his friend handed him a spare old blanket to dry himself off with. "Thanks, by the way."

Gri simply smiled, that cute little smile that always made Scar's heart melt. The two of them went a little red, as they often had been doing in the last week or so, before the blonde spoke again.

"Does it hurt? When you do that I mean." He asked, nodding at Scar's legs as his friend stood up.

"No, not really." He shrugged, handing the blanket back. "I don't really think about it that much... it just sort of... happens? It's kind of like breathing I guess, I just do it without thinking."