"So, Abby." Their dad began, breaking the ice. "How's school going?" She was so deep in her own little world that she didn't even see the set up.

"It's alright." She said.

"Enjoying your classes? Grades good?" She shrugged, taking a bite of dinner. She was oblivious to the fact that no one else had an appetite.

"Music is fun. Sean, Adam and I are getting credits for having band practice during school hours." Her reply held little enthusiasm.

"What about science?" He asked. "You always liked science." She took a sip of water.

"It's physics. It's math not science." She countered. She felt like this was becoming an interrogation.

"You've always been good at math. A's or high B's. Is it the same for physics and Algebra two?" She kept her eyes on her food. This was the first time she'd have to flat out lie. It made her nauseous. She hated lying.

"I hear Aaron has a new record for passing yards." She said smiling at him. He grinned. It was true.

"Jesus Christ." Her mother muttered. "Abby, we know you've been skipping school and that you're failing out of junior year." Abby's head shot up to her brother. She glared at him.

"Don't look at me like that. It wasn't me." He defended with bite.

"You knew?!" His father asked, shocked and angry.

"Yeah." He admitted. But her parents should have known that he knew.

"That's for another time." Jennie dismissed. "So where have you been going?" Abby shrugged.

"Hanging out with some friends." It was the truth. That she could tell the truth about.

"Doing drugs?" Her mother asked with urgency and irritation. Abby's eyes went wide, her mouth went dry. Her heart threatened to burst from her chest. Time stopped. She'd imagined this a million times knowing it would be impossible to keep it a secret forever. And she still hadn't come up with a plan. An excuse. A lie.

"Of course not, mom." She said. "Why would you even ask that?" Jennie studied her. She'd never admit to using drugs. But that didn't mean she was. Her kids had always been very well behaved, high achievers. Maybe Abby was just testing the waters of defiance. Having a teen moment.

"It was mentioned." Jennie admitted.

"By who?" Abby wanted to know who ratted her out. She and her best friend, Sierra, had been distant, their friendship strained, lately. She was jealous Abby had new friends. But ratting Abby out... that seemed low for Sierra.

"It doesn't matter." Her mother said. "The forging of my signature to excuse your absences should be your main concern. Have you read the student handbook lately? Automatic in school suspension for EACH offense." Abby didn't know that. She'd never been in trouble before. She didn't think they'd actually punish her. "Do the math real quick." Her mother sat back, arms crossed. She was actually waiting for an answer. They could hear the clock tick. A neighbor's car start up.

"Sixteen or so." She answered softly. She'd never let her parents down before. It hurt. Silence ensued.

"Well," her mother began, no longer angry but in physical pain. Wounded with betrayal. "You'll have plenty of time to make up your work. And to decide if these friends are really worth it." Her mother got up from the table, not having touched a bite of dinner, and went to her room. Their father followed her. He didn't even glance in Abby's direction as he left the room.

"You didn't really think you'd get away with this, did you?" Aaron asked once they were alone.

"Obviously not. Report cards would have come out sooner or later." She admitted.

"And what was your plan?" He asked. She shrugged.

"I didn't really have one."

"Besides drinking and smoking weed, what else are you doing all day?" She didn't answer. "Jesus Christ." He muttered. "Well?!" He wasn't going to stop asking until she answered.

"E. Some other pills." He sighed and then growled.

"What else are you doing with him?" She knew he meant Jace, her new boyfriend. And she knew he wasn't talking about drugs anymore.

"Yes." She said quietly, feeling ashamed of everything she'd done, all the lies. He didn't have to say the words, the twin thing was kicking in.

"You're such a fucking idiot." He said, feeling pain and agony himself. "When did you turn in to this person?" He asked. "A druggie cliché who lies to her friends and family and sneaks around for a fucking boy?" Hearing him call her a druggie hurt like nothing she'd ever felt before. He didn't wait for an answer. He didn't need to. The twin thing. He got up from the table and left her alone. She was alone. And the part that hurt the most was knowing it was her own fault.