Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Leah Rhodes I don't want you to ever call yourself that again, do you understand me? You're not just goods and you are definitely not damaged", Grayson demanded firmly of me with authority before kneeling down in front of me and taking hold of my hands that laid in my lap.

"You are not the same woman my mom had mentioned almost a year ago after an online interview", he noted which caused my head to snap up as I looked at him confused.

"What do you mean? You're mom talked about me after my interview?"

"Yeah. Don't worry she never had any doubt about hiring you, if she did she wouldn't have in the first place. She noticed what I did upon our first meeting, that you seemed to lack happiness unless it was about your work. She said it was like you were trying to run away from something in your personal life. She said your writing and work credentials were phenomenal but something deeper in her told her that she was meant to help and guide you. All I told her was that  we aren't always meant to know everyone's back story. Sometimes people don't need to face things head on, sometimes people just need new scenery and a helping hand. I asked her if she could offer you that and when she said yes and that you reminded her of herself when she was young, I simply said it looked like she could cancel the rest of the interviews for the position... and so she did."

"You have a spark inside of you little goddess, one that your past hasn't diminished. I've seen it grow brighter and brighter with each passing day that I've known you. Tonight was no set back and does not make you weaker than you thought you were... because you never were. I don't think you've ever been weak a day in your life Leah. No matter if its that dip shit from tonight or if its that waste of space you call an ex boyfriend, no one can take that strength and spark from you and I'll be here to protect you from anyone who tries to", Grayson explained as his eyes never left mine.

"I shouldn't need someone to protect me", I whispered to keep my voice from braking like I knew it would.

"You don't. A forbidden forest and tall tower protect a princess just fine, but a fire breathing dragon definitely helps doesn't it", he smiled making me release a small laugh.

"Now how about we cuddle and find something to watch? It's Halloween season and I know how you love horror movies. How about a slasher of your choosing", Grayson asked with a smile as he stood up and offered me his hand. I took it with out a second thought and once I was on my feet I pulled his face to mine to connect our lips. I couldn't explain the feeling coursing through my body. All I knew was that as much as the independent black woman in me chanted that I didn't need anybody, I knew I needed Grayson. I needed Grayson more than I could outwardly admit. I shouldn't need anyone, but was it so bad to want to need someone? Was it so bad to give in and let myself be vulnerable with him?

I was in no rush to taste him, rather I took pleasure in letting my hands roam his body freely. My hands moved from his face to his hair as I gripped the dark strands, making him groan against my lips. They then traveled down over his shoulders and I let my finger tips graze against the skin of his chest and abs. I smirked at the shudder he gave but I'm guessing he didn't like that because in the next instant he growled lowly and hoisted me up by my thighs against him before walking to the side of the bed and laying me down softly with his body flush against mine. He gave a strong squeeze to my ass causing me to gasp and giving him the perfect opportunity to slip his tongue into my mouth.

Our tongues danced as we spent the next few moments just touching each other.  Each squeeze or moan from one of us was met with a response from the other. A squeeze of his hand on my ass or thigh met with the slight scratch of my nails against the back of his shoulder. A moan from my lips met with a lustful sigh from his. He licked and nibbled my neck as if he couldn't get enough, as if he were a starved man tasting his first meal in months. His hands and lips were skillful yet passionate. My legs and hands held him against me as soft moans of pleasure escaped my lips.