12 | Entrance Exam

Start from the beginning

I didn't know what it meant back then, so I ignored it.

"Hm, looks like he overreacted," Hitoshi muttered before turning around.

"Yeah. . ." I mumbled and turned around too.

I never did tell Hitoshi who our classmates were simply to keep it a surprise and to let him find out himself. So I kept with that promise and didn't show I knew them by following behind him. I also didn't want to point out that the two boys were from the Sludge incident.

After wandering through the entryway, we found ourselves directed by signs that led us to a huge auditorium room. Hitoshi and I looked around and found ourselves lost. But then two familiar voices hollered at us from a few seats below.

"Hey! Come sit here guys!" Setsuna hollered.

"Yeah! We saved you seats!" Riku added.

Hitoshi and I smiled at them and waved back, signaling we were coming. We got a few stares from other kids but ignored them as we met up with our schoolmates.

"Thanks you guys," I offered a warm smile and took the seat next to Setsuna.

"Yeah, thanks," Hitoshi added and sat next to me on the end.

"No problem! We're the only ones from our school so it makes sense to stick together," Setsuna shone her dazzling smile.

"Yeah. . . Look at all the kids from other schools here. . ." Riku said a little more quietly while gesturing to the filled auditorium. "I can't believe out of everyone here only a handful will make it."

All of us hummed at his comment knowing exactly what he meant. UA was notorious for its extremely slim acceptance rate. With that said, everyone in the auditorium who didn't get in from recommendations surely had a backup school in mind in case UA didn't take them. And based on Riku's face, he looked unsure of his chances.

"Don't worry. Although the odds seem stacked against us, we can still pull through and pass. And even if we don't all make it here, we still have our secondary options to reach for our dreams. It doesn't have to be UA," I reassured our group of four.

Everyone agreed with a curt nod. And it was at that same moment that the lights dimmed and a man stepped onto the platform down below. When the lights revealed him, Hitoshi and I smiled knowing exactly who this yellow haired man was thanks to my aunt and Mr. Aizawa.

"What's up, UA candidates? Thanks for tunin' in to me, your school DJ. C'mon. And lemme hear ya!" Present Mic exclaimed.

Unfortunately, he was met with crickets.

"Keeping it mellow huh? That's fine, I'll skip straight to the main show. Let's talk about how this practical exam is gonna go down, okay? Are you ready? Yeah!"

Once again, silence.

That is until a low mutter could be heard coming from a few rows above us. I recognized the muttering and smiled softly to myself.

"Like your application said, today you rockin boys and girls will be out there conducting ten minute mock battles in super-hip urban settings. . ."

Present Mic continued his speech, making us look down and notice our battle center locations.

"Oh, I got D. What about you guys?" Setsuna whispered.

"I got E," Riku replied.

"F," Hitoshi whispered while pointing to his card.

"G," I did the same.

Satisfied with each others replies, we then focused back on Present Mic continuing his explanation of the rules of the exam. The huge screen behind him displayed cartoonised diagrams of battle centers and robot villains. He stated there were three levels of the robots and they had point values. The more points we rack up the higher our score.