I shove my hands into my hoodie pockets and take small steps between the trees. Sometimes walking is peaceful, therapy for your mind. It's quiet and the sound of nature is liberating. You hear your own footsteps crunch against the leaves and branches, birds tweet and the wind whips past your ears.

Bliss.

My legs started to ache as I watched the sun get higher and higher in the sky, just above the tips of the green leaves, Cascading a shadow across my face as I look up to the beaming sun.

I must have looped around the perimeter as I could see the pack house in the distance. My mouth releases a soft sigh and I head home.

My eyes follow the ground, wanting this situation to be salvaged by Kassian apologising for jumping to conclusions.

A soft waft of cedar and blueberries brushes my nose and I stop dead in my tracks. "Shit," I curse under my breath.

I take off towards the smell, not realising how hard my heart was thrashing in my chest.

Just as I loop around the pack house, my eyes collide with Everett who was walking towards the front door. I widen my eyes and hurry over to him, his gaze finally landing on mine.

"Everett," I say as my chest burns. "You really can't just show up unannounced. We really need to organise times to see each other's packs, it's territory respect. You have to respect mine and Kassian's land."

Everett holds his hands up and nods. "I am sorry, Cleo. That is completely my fault and I respect that. We don't have the ability to mindlink so I decided to come on foot."

"What did you come for?"

"We've managed to find some of the pack's family members already, it's astonishing really. I was wondering if you'd be willing to pop over when they're here?" He suggests with a bright smile.

I clear my throat and nod. "Yeah sure," I smile back. "Maybe we could discuss this another time, Everett. I'm sorry but now isn't a good time."

He dismisses himself and holds his hands behind his back. "Of course, sorry. It was rather forward of me to come without an invitation. I'll make sure something is arranged next time. I just didn't want you to miss out on the reunions with their families."

"Thank you," I say gratefully. "I appreciate that but let's arrange things next time. Maybe via the phone?"

The sound of the front door slamming behind me makes my body jump. I whip my head to the noise and watch as Kassian emerges, fists balled tightly and jaw locked. His eyes lay dead on Everett in front of us and panic stretches through every fibre in my body.

Oh fuck. I curse in my head. This didn't look good, this didn't look good at all.

"You have some fucking nerve coming here," Kassian growls as he approaches us.

I turn back to Everett as he stares back at Kassian, a look of confusion washing over his expression. He opens his mouth to talk but he never got the chance before Kassian decides to punch him right on the jaw.

A loud yell escapes my lips as Everett stumbles back, clutching his face whilst Kassian leans forward to try and hit him again. "I suggest you stay the fuck away from my mate before I kill you, do you understand me?"

My hand latches onto Kassian's arm and I yank him back with all my strength, he doesn't expect his feet to slide through the dirt in the direction of my body.

"Stop this right now," I grit out as I flick my eyes between his.

Kassian shakes off my hold, a look in his eyes that made me think all he could see was red.
Everett wipes his bleeding mouth and straightens out his jacket. "As much as Cleo is a great role model and wolf, I respect mate boundaries." He says as he holds his hands in defence.