Day 5 Post Op

"So what's the deal with Meredith and her father?" Derek's dad, Mike asked curiously as they ate in the cafeteria while Meredith took a nap.

"It's a long story." Derek replied, hoping his parents wouldn't pry. "Well, they're obviously not close." Carolyn pointed out.

"She didn't grow up with him. He left her at a young age and the only reason they somewhat have a relationship is because of Lexie." Derek explained.

"Wait, so he raised Lexie, but not Meredith?" Carolyn asked in confusion. "Yes. Lexie's is a few years younger than Mer. He left Meredith and Ellis when she was around five I think, and she didn't even see him until a few years ago." Derek said.

"That's a bitch move." Mike said bluntly. Carolyn swatted his arm. "Language."

"Sorry. Did you say Ellis?" Mike asked, turning his attention to Derek, who nodded. "I worked with her once when I was a first year attending. She was a b-not a nice woman." Mike said.

"Did you meet her before she passed?" Carolyn asked. Ellis died when Carolyn hadn't known of Meredith yet, but of course she heard the great Ellis Grey died. She did work in the healthcare field after all.

"I did," Derek confirmed, "I don't think she was a fan of me."

"Shepherd, Meredith's awake and asking for you." Cristina interrupted, walking over. "Oh, okay." Derek replied, standing up.

"Hi, I'm Carolyn Shepherd." The older woman said with a smile. "Uh, Cristina, these are my parents, Carolyn and Mike. Mom, Dad, this is Cristina Yang, Meredith's best friend." Derek introduced.

"You raised a hair model." Cristina said simply before turning and leaving. "Sorry about that. She's a little....blunt. I'm gonna go see Mer. You guys coming?"

"We'll let you two be alone for a bit and Talk to your brother." Mike replied. Derek nodded and went off.

"Hey." He said with a smile as he stood in the doorway of his wife's room.

"Hi." Meredith replied sleepily. Her chest was sore, but they upped her pain meds and it was bearable. "How was your nap?" Derek asked, walking over to her.

"Fine. I'm bored, but I can't do anything except sit up without hurting." Meredith ranted in annoyance.

"I'm sorry." Derek said sympathetically, kissing her forehead. "It's fine, not your fault." She grumbled.

"Where are your parents?" Meredith asked, sitting up more. "They went to see Mark. I'm sure they'll be around later today." Derek answered, sitting on the edge of her bed.

"They're nice." Meredith commented, staring off into the hall. "Are you okay? About Thatcher being here?" Derek asked softly.

Meredith sighed and looked back towards him. "Sometimes I just wish we had a normal relationship. It shouldn't be this awkward every time he comes into a room. I don't even know why he's here." Meredith explained.

"He's here because he loves you. He may have a pretty bad way of showing it, but he does love you." Derek replied, grabbing her hand.

Meredith flashed a sad smile before changing the subject. "Anyways, how's Alex doing? Do you know?" She asked.

"Uh, Bailey told me this morning that he's doing well. He's progressing a little faster than you are, taking a few steps and standing." Derek answered.

"Bitch." Meredith said under her breath. Derek laughed. Somehow his wife was still competitive with her friends, even if the 'competition' was who could recover faster from a gun shot wound.

"Shepherd, out." A voice from the door said. Derek turned around and rolled his eyes. "Why?" He asked.

"Because I said so." Cristina replied snarkily. Meredith gave him a nod and he sighed. "Call me when you're bored." He said, kissing her gently.

"Love you." Meredith replied. "I love you too." Derek said as he left the room.

"Is Alex really okay? Derek said he's fine, but have you seen him?" Meredith asked as her best friend laid down next to her.

"Yeah, yeah, Evil Spawn is fine." Cristina replied. "Good." Meredith yawned, putting her head on Cristina's shoulder.

"Don't ever get shot again." Cristina said after a few minutes. Meredith snorted, "It's not like I tried to get shot."

"You can't scare me like that again." Cristina whispered, showing a side of her that Meredith rarely saw.

"I'm fine, Cristina. I'm okay, and so is Alex." Meredith answered.

"Don't ever die."

•••

Mike and Carolyn made their way back to the hospital after taking Lexie and Mark out for a quick lunch.

Lexie was really a lovely girl, and the two parents still couldn't stop gawking about the fact that their two sons fell in love with two sisters.

Meredith and Lexie were kind of complete opposites. Meredith kind of didn't give a crap about anything, and Lexie was just the sweetest little thing you'd ever meet.

Carolyn actually would have thought it would be the other way around, Meredith with Mark, and Derek with Lexie.

But you know what they say; opposites attract.

And it really seemed like Derek and Mark found the ones they were meant to be with for the rest of their lives.

And they were grateful.

Hey guys! So, i'm sorry for the lack of updates. i'm just really not having the inspo to write for greys, but i'm trying. i hope you all enjoyed this chapter and i hope you are all doing well. thanks for reading!