Chapter 27: The Welcome Ceremony

Start from the beginning

"We will continue our celebration in the Banquet Hall. I hope to see everyone again. With that, let the celebration, begin!" The emperor concluded his speech.

The Banquet Hall was majestic. Food is everywhere. Nobles talking amongst themselves. People dancing. And among them the Survey Corps can be found in one corner of the room. They aren't used to such celebration. It is grand and everyone in here is a noble. Good thing they were taught of basic etiquette, somehow they are able to hold themselves.

Laughter fills the air as people continued to chat, until the emperor arrived. After they have greeted him, some nobles proceeded to his side to make conversation.

On one table Hange, Levi, Oruo, Petra, Eren, Armin and Mikasa are seated. They are accompanied by their superiors to keep them from embarassing themselves. While the rest were together in another table except for the commanders who were gathered together with other military personnels.

"This party is beautiful." Petra said her eyes filled with excitement.

They nodded in acknowledgment.

"I'm pretty curious though." Hange said. "There are a total of four dukedoms but only three of them were present. The last one is pretty mysterious huh."

"Tsk. Maybe they don't want to be involved in this pathetic party." Levi replied.

"Shh! What if someone other than us hears you?" Hange reprimanded him.

"What? You can comment while I can't?"

Hange smiled sheepishly.

"Anyway, all these things are pretty overwhelming." She said. "You three are awfully quiet." Hange said to the trio.

"Oh! We-we are j-just uhm-" Armin stuttered.

"Its better that they're keeping their mouth shut." says Levi. "Just looking at the other table makes me embarassed."

They all looked at the other table where they saw Sasha and Connie eating as if there is no tomorrow. Gunther, Eld and Mike laughing at them. Jean and Marco arguing. Ymir and Krista flirting.

Oruo shakes his head "That table is truly chaotic."

"Let them enjoy themselves." Petra said.

"Section Commander Hange, what do you think would happen after this?" Eren suddenly asked.

Their eyes focused on Hange.

Hange put her hand on her chin as she thinks deeply. "I'm not sure if we're of any use for them. They are incredibly wealthy, territory wise they have everything, their military is a force to be reckon with as well."

"Perhaps they need pigs for slaughter." Levi says in a low voice his eyes not looking at them.

As the night deepens everyone was still having fun.

From a distance they can see the three dukes talking to the emperor. Then someone approached the emperor as he said something to him, his demeanor changed. He quickly stood up and motioned for the three dukes to follow him, then they disappeared going to another room.

"Something's going on." Armin said. "You noticed it too didn't you?" He told Mikasa.

"Yes. From the moment the House Sterling didn't attend and all of 1st Division missing, something's already going on."

Afterwards the commanders were called to the room as well.

"Prepare yourselves. We might have to fight again." Levi told them.

They were confused at his words. What does he mean fight again? Its not like the empire's at war right now, right?

Mikasa observed the knights behavior and Levi's words definitely made sense. She can't shake off the feeling that sooner or later they will find themselves in trouble, again. They just had their freedom. The battle against the titans went on for years. What could they be fighting against now?

After a while the emperor returned, with the commanders and dukes right behind him. He caught everyone's attention and spoke,

"People of the Great Aelius Empire! I am deeply saddened to bring forth this terrible news on a joyous day like this." He began.

Everyone anticipating what would his next words be.

"News of monstrous beasts have appeared at the southern area of the empire."

Collective gasps can be heard. Everyone became agitated, cries and shouts of anger can be heard.

"Silence!" Duke Heroux shouted.

"Thank you, Duke Heroux. Despite this terrible news, fear not, knights from 2nd Division would be heading there, led by our very own Sir Michael. The commander of the Scouts from the Eldian Kingdom as well as the Marleyan Kingdom's Warrior Unit will also be deployed in the southern region, to give them aid. Together we will fight to achieve victory!"

Looks like they're gonna have to fight again.