Chapter 27: The Welcome Ceremony

As Duke Heroux entered the throne room, the once noisy nobles voices turned into hushed ones. He confidently walked to his place. His appearance was the same as the trio remembered. His aura intimidating, as everyone seemed to lower their heads at his entrance.

"Isn't he the commander of the 2nd Division?"

"You mean the one named as the Wolf?" someone said in a hushed voice.

The Duke continued to walk not bothered one bit with their reactions. When he arrived at his seat, Sir Michael approached him immediately and whispered something to him. Duke Heroux eyes didn't gave away any information as to whatever they are talking about. He simply nodded his head afterwards.

"He is... intimidating." Oruo whispered at Petra, his eyes looking at the ground.

Duke Heroux is seated near the other dukes, and they made small talk with each other.

"I can't believe we're seeing him again." Armin thought

Armin looked beside him and saw Eren and Mikasa staring intently at the Duke.

"These two are really stupid! Do they have a death wish?" Armin thought

Armin caught their attention motioning to them not to look at him, knowing the Duke he'll feel their gazes among the other ones he is receiving. He probably knows already that they are here.

After the two had calmed down Eren spoke.

"Why isn't House Sterling coming? There's only 10 minutes left before the ceremony begins." He said.

"I don't know, okay? Let's just wait. And stop looking at him, please?" Armin pleaded.

Eren crossed his arms and Mikasa looked sideways.

After a few moments there is still no sign of House Sterling. Then the emperor's arrival was announced.

"BLESSINGS UPON THE PILLAR OF THE GREAT AELIUS EMPIRE!"

"He's here." Mikasa thought.

The emperor raised his hand in acknowledgement. For a moment he looked towards everyone, his bright yellow eyes scanning the crowd.

"It is a great day isn't it." He began "Seeing everyone here feels my heart with tremendous joy. I hope all of you are in great condition."

"Today, is a joyous day. We are to celebrate as we welcome our brothers and sisters from both the Eldian and the Marley Kingdom."

There was an applause.

"Hypocrite." Armin thought

"After years of titan oppression the Eldian Kingdom finally regained its freedom. And they have expressed their desire to share this great achievement with us. The combined efforts of their very own military forces and our Order of the Knights 2nd Division, under the command of Duke Heroux, made it all possible." The emperor says dramatically.

"Bringing us to this wonderful day, we stand together as one. And would keep on moving forward, hand-in-hand. We are gathered here to recognize the bravery of all those people who participated in this battle, and to pay respect to those who lost their lives fighting to gain this freedom."

After he said that the commanders of the three regiments of Eldia, captains of the 2nd Division and Duke Heroux step forward.

They were given medals as recognitions, as cheers and applause can be heard. After that they returned to their places. Afterwards, the royal family of both the Kingdom of Eldia and Marley declared their loyalty to the empire.