Chapter 11: The Duke

The trio were having breakfast, as usual the food was sumptuous, a variety of food laid on the table. From fresh fruits, bread, meat, and biscuits you would have plenty of food to choose from. It was once in a lifetime opportunity to be able to eat dishes like this so they are taking their precious time eating when Curtis, that grumpy guy according to Eren, came inside the room they are staying in.

"The three of you are to meet His Grace in a few minutes. The maids will accompany you there. Make sure to be in time, don't make him wait. You understand?"

They nodded as he exited the room shortly after he delivered the message.

"That's one way to greet people I guess." Armin said.

They were led to a different room. Just how many rooms does this place have? There is food on the center table, again. Pastries and tea. It looks like they are obssesed with eating in this house.

After a couple of minutes the Duke arrived. The trio immediately stand up. They don't know exactly how to greet him so they remained standing awkwardly while he enters the room.

"I apologize for my tardiness." He said, as he sat across them. "Please take a seat."

Mikasa looked at him intently. She is beyond confused. How can this person agree with something so stupid? A plan as stupid as that.

Now that she was able to look at him for much longer than their brief encounter back in the throne room she saw a young man whose age is probably not far from their own. He has dark blue hair, his eyes are yellow colored, which is awfully similar to the Emperor's eyes. He has a relaxed and calm face as his lips formed a thin line.

The silence was awkward. How can they possibly say anything to the man who saved their lives while they seemingly destroyed his opportunity to evade any form of scandal once they went back to the their hometown or how they kept him far from potential partners.

The Duke cleared his throat before proceeding to introduce himself.

"The name's Ethan. I am the current head of the House Sterling. People referred to me as Your Grace or Duke Sterling. But I won't oblige you to call me any of those. Ethan would suffice." He said

Armin profusely shook his head as he said "How can we possibly call you by your name Your Grace? My name is Armin Arlert from the Eldian Kingdom." Armin then bowed his head.

"I am Eren. Eren Yeager."

Ethan's eyes landed on Mikasa while she averted her gaze.

"Mikasa." Is all she said.

"Clyde already informed me about the what had happened yesterday. It seems we are the same age." Ethan said.

The trio looked at each other, a topic they did not expected. As Armin was contemplating with what to say he heard Mikasa speak.

"Why help us?" she said "it would not benefit you in anyway."

"Technically I did not help you, Clyde did. I simply did it for him."

Mikasa nodded trying to accept the logic behind his answer. But isn't that way too shallow for a reason? Though her thoughts urge her to get a much logical answer she opted to keep her mouth shut.

"I am more than willing to answer any of your questions. But if I am not around you may ask Clyde or Curtis."

"If that's the case, then please allow me to ask a few." Armin said as he began to ask some questions to Ethan.

According to Ethan, the House Sterling is one of the four dukedom in the Aelius Empire, alongside House Heroux, House Auclair and House Collins. The four houses were the first inhabitants of the empire alongside the Imperial Family. For generations the House Sterling served as the Empire's Sword. They are tasked to lead the 1st Division of Knights, though currently he is not yet the commander of the 1st Division. He became the current head of House Sterling after he turned 18, for years his uncle was the one holding the position after his parents died years ago.

Armin wanted to ask more questions but the Duke was summoned to the Imperial Palace.

As he was about to leave the knight who was tasked to inform him of his summoning said that the Emperor also wishes for him to bring his fianceé with him. After a great deal of convincing Mikasa to come as well, the two of them set forth to the Imperial Palace.