Chapter 20: The Return

"So we're really going back huh?" Armin said.

He was sitting across Mikasa, as Eren sleep by his side.

Mikasa simply nodded, staring at the ground.

"His Grace... is really a good person." Armin began "To think that he would do that."

Mikasa doesn't really feel like listening to Armin right now. She wanted to know, why he would go to such lengths for them. He didn't owe them anything, it was definitely the opposite. Why go through all that trouble for insignificant beings like them? Sure, in the span of two years they became friends, but that's about it.

They were now nearing the border. Curtis said that Ethan already prepared everything and their safety is guaranteed, there is nothing to worry about.

"How can they say not to worry about anything." Mikasa thought

As they step out of the carriage, they were greeted by the cold wind. This will be the last time they will be at the Aelius Empire.

The knights then transferred them to another carriage. Saying that they will be safe and His Grace already made arrangements.

Why do they kept saying the same things? What about them then? What would happen to House Sterling now?

"We wish for your safe travel." One of the knights said he bowed before leaving.

The carriage began to move, this is it. They wouldn't have to spend their time in a foreign place anymore. Eren doesn't have to spend time getting beaten by Curtis anymore. Armin doesn't need to keep on reading books at the library day and night to gather information. Mikasa doesn't have to pretend to be his fianceé anymore. No more eating together, walks nor small talks. No need to keep pretending.

But what exactly are they returning to?

Eren slightly groaned as he began to open his eyes. He saw two figures looking at him. Armin and Mikasa can be seen on the verge of tears as they both looked at Eren.

"Armin, what happened? Where are we?" Eren said.

"We're on our way back to the Eldian Kingdom. We were supposed to die but the Duke saved us yet again." Armin answered him. Then he began to further explain what happened.

"What?!" Eren shouted. He was useless. Again.

"It all happened so fast, but aside from all that how did 'that' happen to you?" Armin asked him. He is pertaining to the feral incident.

Eren now fully awake managed to somehow jog his memory. Right, how can he forget. He became a feral, a titan as they called back in their kingdom. Mindless beings who feed on people. Then he remembered seeing the bloodied figure of the twins.

"How's the two of them?" Eren inquired.

"We were unable to see Clyde, but Curtis accompanied us for a bit last night."

They were silent for a few more moments. All of them trying to take in the events that occured. Armin then suddenly spoke.

"Let's live. The Duke, gave us the opportunity to go back. We better not waste this."

The other two simply nodded.

During the whole trip the trio remained silent. Then after a long agonizing journey the sight of familiar walls can be seen in a distance. They are back.

Mikasa then silenty muttered to herself.

"I hope that one day we will see each other again."