Chapter 26: The Palace

Start from the beginning

"I want to... see their military forces."

They tilted their heads and simply nodded at the shy girl.

After a while they arrived at the capital. Once again the trio was able to hear the words,

"We welcome you to the Great City of Helio!"

Everyone quickly looked outside the window. They saw the busy crowd. There are many people at the capital. Armin noted that the capital looked much more grand than before. There are flags hanging from posts, flowers everywhere, the atmosphere is incredibly lively and the people are shouting "Long live the Emperor!" And "Glory to the One who bears the name of the Sun!"

Though crowded the place wasn't chaotic. Knights from 3rd Division were dispatched almost everywhere to maintain order.

Not long after, the carriage finally halted. The doors opened and they went out of the carriage. There it is. In its full glory, the Imperial Palace right in front of them.

They were motioned to step aside as carriage after carriage stopped in front of the palace, but sadly all of their faces were unrecognizable.

"The Imperial Palace looks grand!" Hange exclaimed.

"I agree with you Hange. The capital is very different from the Polaris City!" Petra replied.

"There are a lot of decorations as well. Did you see how beautiful those flowers that adorn the whole capital?"

"Its very pretty! I hope I can get some later."

The two of them continue to talk as a knight approached them.

"I'll be accompanying you to the throne room."

"Oh! A good day to you, Sir Michael!"

"Likewise." The bored man replied. Why is this guy always bored? Perhaps he hasn't gotten any good sleep.

"The ceremony will begin in an hour. We are to gather inside the throne room 30 minutes before that. I hope everyone is already here, I discourage you from walking on your own since a lot of people will be gathered here today. The Eldian Kingdom's King Fritz alongside his party and the commanders are on their way to the throne room as well. Do you have any question?" Sir Michael said.

They all shook their heads.

"Then let's be on our way. Follow me." As he began to lead them to the throne room.

As they walk through the hallways, they can see paintings hanging on the walls and knights standing in attention as they greeted Sir Michael. They still haven't seen anyone with the dark blue uniform.

After their long walk the huge golden doors of the throne room can be seen. Sir Michael halted and faced them.

"Once we enter, you will be accompanied to your respective positions. Please refrain from leaving your group since it will definitely be crowded inside. For the last time, any questions?"

Silence.

"No one?" He continued.

Mikasa then raised her hand surprising everyone, and for once Sir Michael's eyes showed an emotion as well.

"Proceed."

"May I ask why we haven't seen anyone from the Order of the Knights 1st Division?"

Sir Michael almost smirked. Almost.

"They are on a different assignment. Is that all?"

"Yes." Mikasa answered.

"Very well, let's head inside."

As the doors open they were greeted by a great number of people. It was noisy. The throne room looked extravagant, since it is a ceremony it has many decorations in it. There were people playing instruments as well. They can't help but look around trying to take in the luxurious aura the throne room exudes. Its not everyday you can see something like this after all. Some were talking amongst themselves, other trying to calm their nerves, and others are trying to look for familiar faces.

They were led to their positions and they met up with the commanders and the King's party.

After they gave their salute Erwin Smith spoke.

"How is everyone doing?"

"They're all nervous and excited." Hange answered.

"These brats can't keep their mouth shut." Levi added, looking annoyed.

The cadets looked at each other feeling attacked by Captain Levi's words.

"I see. Make sure to pay a lot of attention. Always be alert." Erwin reminded them.

"Hey Armin." Eren said as he nudged his arm.

"What is it?"

"This definitely brings back memories." He said in a hushed voice.

"Yeah. But this is a first. We're always on trial when we're here after all." Armin replied.

Mikasa kept on turning her head from side to side searching for someone.

"Hey Mikasa."

Armin interrupted.

"I know you want to look for them as well. Truth be told, I don't think we can keep a low profile. Everyone probably knows who we are, it surprised me that no one has recognized us aside from Sir Michael. I want to see them as well, all we can do now is hope that they will attend."

Mikasa contemplated before answering.

"I don't trust his words."

Eren and Armin's attention focused on her.

"Different assignment? The 1st Division is supposed to be the one closest to the emperor.  But we haven't seen any of them at all."

They didn't answer her, just looked at her as they sighed in defeat.

Mikasa continued her search as someone keep on announcing the entrance of distinguished guests. Different people kept on coming some of them she recognized from attending once in the Grand Banquet during the empire's founding. But the real deal, the four dukedoms are yet to appear.

The herald continued to announce.

After a while the Duke Of House Auclair arrived. Together with his wife and daughter.

Followed by the arrival of House Collins Duke. Rumor says the current head just got appointed since the rightful successor ran away.

And lastly, the person they least wanted to see arrived.

"Duke Caden Heroux of House Heroux entering!"