Chapter 12: A Willing Sacrifice

~A/N~
Sorry if this chapter feels rushed. Tired from the test ;m; ugh. Enjoy! Thank you all SO SO MUCH for 1k reads!!! AHHH! I'M SO EXITED IT CAME THIS FAR!!!

~N's pov~

The pod on the very right's countdown read "00:03:58" In four minutes three new Disassembly Drones would be released, and there could not have been worse timing.

Thad and V went to the colony to try and find an oil donor for F, so were here to try and convince the new drones to join us. Uzi's body was morphing again, and she was doubled over in pain.

Her tail seemed to be growing to a normal size, small wing nubs were protruding out of her back, and a small headband where our visual sensors and other important software was stored began to form.

She was curled on a ball, tears leaking down her face, sobbing and screaming loudly. I scooped her up onto my arms and ran back to the tower. Three new Disassembly Drones would be released, and I wouldn't be there. 'Uzi is much more important.' I reasoned with myself.

I leaped over snow banks and metal heaps desperately trying to reach safety. I saw the tower in the distance, but knew it'd be too obvious if the new recruits came looking for us.

I remembered that V and Thad were kissing outside an abandoned building nearby when we were going to ask them yo a snowball fight, so I headed towards the building. I saw the door and made a mad dash for it.

I grabbed the doorknob and turned. It was locked. "Oh biscuits! Now is not the time!" I yelled frantically, hearing Uzi groan in my arms. I slammed the door open with all my might and it opened. I'd have to heal the dent it made in my side later.

I laid Uzi down on the floor, her screams had faded to groans as she had run out of the energy to scream. "Biscuits! I'm so sorry, Uzi! T-this is all my fault. You never should have saved me! You never should have loved me... I should've died when so had the chance. Uzi... This is my fault. I'm so so sorry, Biscuit." I yelled, running my hands through my hair and feeling tears run down my face.

Uzi mustered the strength to pat my leg weakly. "No." She mouthed, before blacking out. I slammed the ground with my fists, cracking the concrete floor. I took a deep breath and looked around for anything that could help.

It seemed to be a human bunker, but most of the equipment was completely destroyed. I felt my tail thrash in anger. I had lost hope when F ran into the building with two other Disassembly Drones I didn't recognize.

They looked panicked. Their armbands read M and L. They turned around, but M and L yelled when they saw us. "Its okay!" F reassured them. "N, I managed to persuade then to join us. Its just... Y wasn't cooperative." F's midsection had a large slice and it was oozing oil as she spoke.

M nodded, her visor was cracked. L titled his head and pointed to Uzi, "She okay?" He asked. I felt a sob build up in the back of my throat. "No! She's not... " I bursted out angrily.

L blinked nervously and M rubbed his arm. "What happened...?" F asked cautiously. "Something happened and now she's turning into a Disassembly Drone, but her Worker Drone engine can't take the pain." I explained as quickly as possible.

"So, she needs a new engine...?" L asked. I nodded in response. "You use one of my... decommissioned... team mates?" F suggested. I shook my head sadly. "The engine needs to still be running." I said.

"You need a willing donor." L said. I nodded. "Kay', I can do it." He said. I blinked. "But you'd die! And you don't even know us..." I exclaimed bluntly. L nodded and M looked shocked.

"I was supposed to protect my team, but now we're split up and I ran instead of fighting. I've always ran. I don't think I want to anymore. And I support this cause, so at least I'll die a noble death." L pointed out. He seemed to be reasoning with himself.

I nodded. "But L! You don't even know them!" M pointed out. L nodded. "Isn't that what heroes do? Save those they don't know?" He smiled like a toddler whose mother just baked cookies as he talked.

Uzi twitched on the floor and we all winced. "No time to waste." I spoke with a grimace. L nodded. "No! You can't do this!" M yelled at L. "He can't do this! He's always had a stupid hero complex! You can't take my brother!" M was now yelling at me.

"Its okay. I love you, sis." L said calmly to M. 'Oh biscuits. An eye for an eye, a love for a love. Well crud. No time though. Uzi is what matters.' I thought to myself.

L laid down on the floor and put himself into repair mode. "No!" M yelled as she jumped forward, tears streaming down her face. F grabbed her waist and held her back, stroking her hair and whispering into her gray hoodie.

I out Uzi into repair mode and was ready to start when a loud yell sounded outside along with the sound of clashing metal. Thad ran into the building and looked shocked when he saw everyone inside.

The sound of scraping metal got louder as he explained that V was outside fighting another drone that was probably Y. I reached a shaky hand down to open L's chest when we heard a scream, and then silence.

Thad looked terrified, and I could guess why. He left his one love outside with an unknown drone, and silence after fights usually signaled death. He could've left his love to die.

I quickly opened both of their chest cavities by pressing a button underneath both of their necks. Their sheets were filled with complex systems of wires and in the middle was a humming generator.

Uzi's engine was puffing out smoke and slightly smaller than L's. I laid a shaky hand on L's engine before unplugging all the wires. I quickly did the same for Uzi and then plugged L's engine into her chest.

I could hear M screaming, but the sound of my engine beating in my ears was louder. A small flicker of light shone on Uzi's screen as the words "booting up" were displayed.

I was about to cry tears of joy, but my heart sank when I heard the sound of metallic footsteps head our way.