Chapter 3

As the students rushed out of the classroom, Mabel couldn't stop thinking

   As the students rushed out of the classroom, Mabel couldn't stop thinking. Had she made the right decision? She missed her best friend but at the same time, Alina did not bother to care about her. Last year, Alina had not even noticed that she was drowning, while she was constantly getting bullied.

That day, she had talked with all the Elites and everyone seemed to appreciate her, whether it was fake or real love it did not matter, they respected her. Tara seemed to be a little arrogant with her two minions, Melina and Ilona, who always followed her and agreed with everything she would say. Mabel felt like she fit in with these girls, although her personality was completely different from theirs, and that was all that mattered.

The boys, on the other hand, were very different as they all had their own personalities, they weren't minions and there wasn't a clear leader.

Liam was kind and funny, although he was a little less outgoing than the others. Mabel knew he had saved Alina's life when they were eight and she was forever thankful for what he had done.

Julian was a ladies' man. He openly flirted with her and for some reason, it did not bother her. The feeling of being important and listened to was what Mabel needed and she did not get that from the popular group.

Cedric was the only boy she truly felt comfortable with. She did not play a role, acting like everything was fine when clearly things were not. She told him about Alina and how the situation escalated very rapidly. She hated pity and she was surprised to see that Cedric did not say anything but only held her in his protective arms as she started sobbing. Nobody was aware of what had happened between the teenagers as it was during the end of the lunch break.

Mabel was genuinely stunned by the Elites. She, like Alina, was at first careful with what she said and did but the students quickly included her in their everyday conversation. It was just like Mabel had always been part of the group.

For a moment, she had forgotten about the bullying, the drowning, the fights and mostly, Alina. Alina was her pillar yet she was also her sun, leaving her dull and cold when she was gone.

"Mabel! Are you coming with us to Starbucks? I've heard there is a new latte which I'm longing to try!" Tara excitedly announced.

"Sure, but I don't have any money at the moment," Mabel replied.

"It's fine, I'll pay your order," Cedric quickly responded.

Mabel was overwhelmed. How could people that she had never met before be so caring? It felt like she had instantly gotten six new best friends, but could they ever replace Alina? No, of course not, Alina was unique, she knew almost everything about her life, yet she had been so selfish lately.

Cedric noticed that Mabel was distracted. He grabbed her hand and she turn around, realizing that it was him. She smiled and their hands intertwined.

Once their drinks were ordered and collected, the group sat down in a nearby park. Tara began taking selfies, her minions staring at her as if she was their idol. Liam and Julian started talking about soccer and PlayStation games.