Chapter 6: Work in La Casa Gonzalez

"Need help, tia?" Before the rest of the residents of the casita is even awake, you marched down the kitchen and offered assistance to Tia Julieta who is currently cooking for breakfast. 

"Oh, Y/n!" She quickly turned in your direction, surprised by your sudden appearance. She then looks around the kitchen looking for a task that you could assist with.  "Hm... How about the queso? Can you prepare the queso for me, hija?" She suggested. 

You happily agreed and quickly begin to work. 

"Hija. Hija? Y/n? Y/n!" Tia Julieta calls out to you, bringing you back to reality. It's been the 'th time she catches you in a daze so she looked at you in genuine concern. 

"Are you done with those?" She asks pointing at your work. "Are you sure you're okay, hija?" She asked once again. 

"A-ah yes, tia. Sorry, tia. Just the cold air in the early morning." You smiled at her apologetically as she eyes you with suspicion and concern. 

"Alright then. Help me out with this then." She sighed. The two of you continued to prepare food for quite some time, hearing the casita slowly beginning to be more lively with doors opening and closing, footsteps, and chatters.

"Seems like they're finally awake." You said before Tia Julieta joins your giggles. Suddenly Dolores enters the kitchen with a plate, interrupting the two of you. Since the two of you don't really talk to each other, you quickly straighten your posture.

"Hungry already, mija?" Tia Julieta asks her to which she only responded with a nod after shortly glancing at you.

"Don't worry, Dolores. We are already done." The older woman said as she wipes her hands on her apron and removes its knot on the back. 

"We'll be bringing them out now." You joined their conversation with a smile but she only stared at you before turning around and walking out of the kitchen.

-----

After breakfast, you quickly excused yourself and headed elsewhere.

"Thank you, Mama." You smiled to your mother as she hands you the thing you asked for. Her frown is still plastered on her face since you asked her for it and denies giving an explanation. Hence, she hesitantly gives it to you.

"Vina gave it to me, she should be the one you're thanking, Y/n." She shrugs to you. "Alright. Go now, love." She shooed you away with a wave.

You let out a small chuckle before waving back to her. After your little encounter with your mother, you quickly walked to your next destination.

"She should be around here..." You mumble to yourself as you look around the place from where you are standing.

"On it!" Just as you expected, Luisa comes marching down the path you were in. Since she in a rush, she didn't notice you and started to carry the donkeys one after the other.

You hurriedly approach her from behind.

"Need some help?" Luisa suddenly stopped walking and turned to you. Seeing that you got her attention, you raised your hand and waved the rope that you acquired from your mother-- aunt, rather and smiled brightly.

"Oh, Y/n." So said upon seeing that you were the one who spoke to her. "It's fine. I can handle it." She shrugs at you, however today, you are not accepting a 'no' for an answer.

"Come on. I want to help!" You insists, filled with energy. She frowns at your sudden burst of energy but shrugged it off thinking that you are in a good mood.