3

Kongpob woke up to a light knocking on the door. Opening his eyes, he saw Arthit curled into him, sleeping soundly. Smiling, he gently caressed his bangs and got off the bed as soundlessly as he could. Opening the door, he saw Malee and Ram standing there, worry marring their features. Malee was trying hard to hold back her tears, and seeing this, Kongpob pulled her in his embrace as she started to sob softly.

"He is alright, Mae. He is safe! Please, don't worry." He kept repeating assurance until she felt better, and nodding, she smiled through her tears.

"Why don't you wake him up? He will be happy to see you!"

Malee and Ram nodded and stepped inside the bedroom, and Kongpob followed.

Sitting next to him, Malee called out his name.

"Oon! Oon!" Arthit stirred. And to everyone's surprise, he mumbled,

"5 more minutes Mae!" a smile cracked everyone's lips, and Arthit sat up suddenly, realizing he heard his mom's voice.

"Mae!" he exclaimed before pulling her tight into his embrace. He held her tight, rocking gently, inhaling her perfume, her 'mom scent'! He felt safe!

"Is all the affection reserved only for your Mae?" Ram asked, and both Malee and Arthit opened their arm to let Ram into the embrace. With soft tears spilling, they hugged each other, needing the reassurance that Arthit was indeed alright. Arthit then pulled back and asked Kongpob to join. Laughing, Kongpob too joined the group hug, and Arthit basked in the glory of his family's love.

"How are you feeling, Oon?" Ram asked.

"I am alright, Por. The doctor gave a clean bill of health. I am fine, really. Just a bit unsettled, that's all!"

"What happened, Oon? What went wrong?" Ram asked, concern dripping in his voice.

"Por, Mae, I am so sorry! I am sorry I wrecked your gift!"

"Oon! You matter the most. You are safe! That's what is most important for all of us."

"But it was a gift..."

"Yes, but it was only a material possession at the end of the day. Your safety and health are more important than anything else. I am glad that the car took all the brunt of the accident, and you are safe. If it means losing ten such cars, I will happily give it up for your safety," Ram assured him.

"Thank you, Por. I don't know what happened. One moment I was driving normally when I felt something flash past the car, and in my attempt to avoid it, I swerved the steering, and the next thing I know, the car was toppled, and I was hanging upside down!"

"Oon!" Malee gasped as dread settled in her heart.

"Mae, don't worry please, I am safe. I truly believe that I am protected by your blessings. Before the accident, I felt a premonition, a warning of sorts telling me to be alert, and I paid heed to it. Maybe that is why I walked away scot-free from the accident."

It was the first time they were hearing about the 'warning'. Everyone present there sent out a prayer thanking their guardian spirits and God for keeping Arthit safe.

"You are indeed protected, son. I have heard of instances where people were warned and protected by their guardian angels/spirits. Thank god, you were safe." Malee stated, "Oon we have to go to a temple today. Ram let's take him to the temple. Kong?"

"Yes, Mae. We had already decided to visit the temple with everyone."

"Alright! Freshen up and come down. Yah and Pu are waiting for you downstairs."