Chapter 20: 𝑰𝒕𝒂𝒏

A/N: Hi! I'm so sorry that my updates are so late. It's been years since I last moved, and it's so. Much. Work. I'm sore all over.

   But, it's here now so I hope you enjoy. The initial moving part is over, and I'm staying with some family for a few weeks. I may be able to upload a bit more often so I'm happy about that.

   Enjoy! Also if you have any input about what you think of the story so far and would like to share either here or privately, please do so! I would love to hear what other people think!

~~~~~~~~

   "Do you understand?" Uzoma asked.

   "Yeah. I guess I do." I nodded.

   "You do or you don't. Do you want to be strong someday?"

   "Of course."

   "Well, then do as I say. I can help you, you know?"

   "I know, Uzo. That's why you're here, isn't it?"

   "Yes. That's my top priority, love. It's to help you reach your full potential."

   "Thank you."

   "Of course."

~~~~~~~~

   "Calm down, Imena."

   "I'm trying."

   "You can't be strong if you let your emotions out like that."

   "But it's hard! Sometimes, I just want to scream..."

   "Now, have you ever seen a strong person do that?"

   "...no?"

   "Okay. Have you seen your mother do that? What about your father? Anyone in your family, for that matter?"

   "Never."

   "Right, so to be more like them, you have to keep yourself under control. Think of it this way: anytime you feel your emotions getting out of control, leave. Clear your mind of any thoughts, and no matter what, maintain your composure."

   "What about good feelings?"

   "Those, too. It's still a risk either way. You don't want anyone to think you're crazy or unhinged. Right?"

   "Right."

   "So, do that. If you lose your handle on yourself, you could hurt someone."

   "What about if I practice?"

   "Sure, if you want to disregard safety. There's no real safe way to handle your blessing with how big it can get."

   "So, I shouldn't use it?"

   "Not often. You might accidentally cause it to hurt someone. We don't want the Ikemba situation again."

   "Okay, you're right."

~~~~~~~~

   "What's wrong?" Ikemba asked, looking at me from across the two-person table.

I took a bite of chicken from my plate.

   "What?" I asked, raising a brow.

   "You've been very quiet these past couple of weeks."

I shrugged.

   "Is that wrong?"

   "No, just unusual for you."

   "Are you saying I'm usually a loud mouth?" I asked, looking at my plate.