Chapter 11: 𝑺𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒄𝒉

Mirabel and I got up a bit earlier the next morning, ready to go into town. Our search in the cookbook came up empty, it only spoke about how 'exotic' the meals were. I had also re-analyzed my journal, hoping to spot any hidden clues or hints.
There were none, but we definitely weren't giving up yet.

"So, relay the plan to me again?" Mirabel asked as we walked to Camilo's room.

"First, we're going to find the woman who sold Camilo the book, and search town to find maps that may depict the waterfall on my necklace." I explained. She nodded.

We stopped outside Camilo's door, and Mirabel knocked.
No answer.
She knocked again, louder this time.
Still no answer.

She turned to look at me and raised her brows. I shrugged. Mirabel then banged on the door with both fists, pressing her lips together.
No answer.

Mirabel suddenly kicked Camilo's door open, marching inside. I chuckled at her and followed.

"PRIMO GET UP!" she yelled, bursting through the double doors. She rushed down the aisle and jumped onto the stage. "I'm not going to tell you again. GET UP!"

Camilo groaned and turned in his bed, smacking a pillow over his head.

Mirabel turned to look at me, a smile creeping up on her face. I tilted my head, wondering what she was thinking. Mirabel ran and jumped onto Camilo's bed, tickling his sides. He was up immediately, grabbing at her hands.

"Mirabel! Stop!" he laughed. She continued tickling him until he jumped out of bed on the right side. Mirabel got off the bed on the left side, taking an offensive stance with her arms out.

"I warned you, primo." she said. "Now you have to face the consequences."

Camilo held his hands up in surrender, a panicked look on his face.

"I'm up, I'm up! See? I'll get dressed, prima." he smiled. Mirabel lunged, and he stepped back, laughing nervously. "Just give me some time. I'll get dressed."

"You should have been up already, see? Imena and I are already dressed." Mirabel stated, pointing to me.

The two cousins were silent for a moment before Mirabel jumped across the bed, tackling Camilo onto the floor and tickling his sides.
He laughed uncontrollably, shapeshifting into his mother, sister, then me. I tilted my head.

"Okay! Okay!" he breathed, holding his hands up. "I'm sorry, I'll get dressed now."

"Darse prisa (hurry up), primo. Or I'll be back." Mirabel said, turning to leave and jumping off the stage. Camilo chuckled and closed the curtains on the stage.
Mirabel and I walked out of the room and stood outside his door, leaning against the wall.

"After we look in town, do you want to go hang out with our hermanas, Imena?" Mirabel asked me. I nodded.

"I would love to. We should get some fruit drinks to bring to them." I suggested. Mirabel nodded.

"Cold ones especially. Ooh, I can't wait! My mouth is watering thinking about them." she said, smiling up at the sky. The door to Camilo's room opened and he stepped out, shaking his hair. "Whoa, flakes!"

Camilo frowned. I chuckled.

"I kid, primo, I kid." Mirabel laughed. Camilo walked up to her and wrapped his arm around her neck with a smile. She grabbed at it, making choking sounds.

"What are we doing today?" he asked, smiling at me.

"You're taking us to the stall where you got that book." I answered, pulling his arm from around Mirabel. She gasped for air exaggeratedly, reaching upwards. I smiled at her.