Chapter 8: 𝑰𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒂'𝒔 𝑫𝒂𝒚

A/N: Please ignore her tentacle arms, I'm horrible at drawing hands :(

Song Recommendation: The Hidden Valley - Peder B Helland

"Mira, what's going on?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

She smiled at me, and we continued walking down the stairs. They creaked softly, piercing through the abnormally quiet house.

We walked down the front doors, and stopped walking.

Mirabel sighed before placing her hand on the door.

"It's all for you, Mena." she said, smiling softly at me. She pushed open the door, and I gasped quietly.

Lined at the door was every member of the Madrigal family.

At the end of a purple carpet that was rolled out from the door stood Abuela Alma. On the right side from the bottom, was Mariano, Dolores, and Antonio.

On the left side from the bottom was Luisa, Isabela, and Bruno. Next to Alma on her left was Julieta and Agustin, with an empty spot for Mirabel, and on her right was Pepa, Felix, and Camilo.

Arches of leaves and flowers lined the pathway, and sunny, cotton soft clouds hung overhead. The sky was painted in the most beautiful sunset colors of fiery oranges, peach, baby blues, and lavenders.

Surrounding the entire scene were the villagers, who looked on with eager anticipation and pride.

I looked at Mirabel, and she smiled happily.

"Come on." she said softly, and we began walking down the aisle.

Isabela, who was standing on the left side of the entrance across from Dolores, walked up to me, and gently placed a flower crown on my head.

"You look beautiful, Imena." she said, smiling kindly. I bowed slightly towards her and turned back to face Abuela Alma. She had a welcoming smile on her face, and I felt goosebumps rising on my arms as I continued walking towards her.

Mirabel took her spot once I reached the end of the aisle. I stood in front of Abuela, and she took my hands into hers, stooping slightly.

"Imena, mi hija (my child). We've heard about what happened, and what you found about your family." señora Alma began. "It is very unfortunate what happened, but"

I looked down at the ground, feeling my eyes sting.

"we want you to know that we, as a family, stand with you. We are here to support you endlessly, querido." she continued. She wiped my newly fallen tear from my cheek.

"And so, as a unanimous decision, we have decided to accept you into our familia as an honorary Madrigal." Alma announced, retaking my hands into hers.

My eyes immediately began to fill. I thought I'd run out of tears, but I started crying, bowing my head to her.

"...Why?" I asked. "I don't deserve this, Abuela."

She lifted my head gently.

"You have contributed to this family more than you know, querido." she said. Mirabel stepped up behind me.

"You do deserve this, Imena. You're one of us now. You have a family." she said, rubbing my shoulders. I cried more, shutting my eyes tightly.

"We've seen how hard you work to help us, and we're so grateful that you showed up." señora Pepa said, wiping her eyes.

"You've become a daughter, a sister, and in some ways, a confidant." señora Julieta said. I opened my eyes and looked back at the family.