Chapter 18: 𝑱𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒆𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝑰𝒔𝒆𝒅𝒂

Sound Recommendation: Incredible Jungle Sounds - Nature Soundscapes on YT

   "¡Nos vamos de aventura (We're going on an adventure)!" Mirabel crooned.

   "!" Camilo chimed in.

   "¡Estamos tan crecidos (We're so grown)!"

   "¡Somos tan adultos (We're such adults)!"

   I chuckled lightly. Mirabel and Camilo were singing a random song they'd made up together as we walked.

   "Patito, join us! Give us a verse." Camilo said, looking at me across from Mirabel.

   "You two are doing just fine without me." I said, looking at the map.

   "Suit yourself." Camilo shrugged.

   "Oh, I will." I said, tilting my head.

   "Somos Mira, Mena y Milo. ¡Nos vamos de aventura!" Mirabel sang.

I quietly hummed along, glancing over at Mirabel and Camilo dancing side by side.

~~~~~~~~

   "That's a horrible idea."

   "Look, if something happens, Mirabel will have an arepa on hand." Camilo said, reaching for a cluster of berries. "You've got me right, prima?"

Mirabel took out an arepa.

   "Yep!" she said, turning to me. "There's no changing his mind, hermana. All we can do is damage control."

I sighed.

   "Here goes!" Camilo said, eating two berries.

We stood silently, glancing expectantly at each other.

   "Well?" Mirabel asked.

Camilo nodded.

   "I feel fine, but they taste-" he suddenly started retching and choking, holding his throat. His face then began to lose color.

   "Mirabel, hurry!" I shouted, panicking. I held onto his waist to help him stay up.

Mirabel shoved the arepa into Camilo's mouth and held onto his shoulders.

   He gasped and looked at Mirabel and I with widened eyes.

   "...oh." he muttered.

   "I told you that was a stupid idea!" I said, pushing his shoulder. "...are you okay?"

   "Yeah, yeah." Camilo answered, forcing a smile. He cleared his throat and wiped his face.

   "Thanks, prima." he said, pressing his lips together.

Camilo and Mirabel then suddenly began to laugh. A nervous/relieved type of laugh.

   "That's a line you'll never cross again, huh?" Mirabel said, hitting his shoulder.

Camilo shook his head.

   "I've gotten too comfortable having tía's food as a backup plan." he chuckled, rubbing his neck.

   "You're insane." I said, walking past the two.

~~~~~~~~

   The sun shone down brightly on the three of us through the trees. We all hunched over and breathed heavily, frequently wiping the sweat off of our foreheads.

Camilo shape-shifted into Luisa to carry mine and Mirabel's bags for a while, but it was soon pretty apparent that we all just needed to take a break.

   "Let's stop here." I breathed, pointing to a pond.