Chapter 17: 𝑨𝒅𝒊ó𝒔

When I woke up, I hurriedly got ready for the day. I rushed over to my dresser and took out my journal.

Before I went to bed, I wrote out an itinerary of things to do with the family before I left.

   Sure, I wasn't certain I'd be leaving, but if I am, I'm going to make the most of the time I have left in the Encanto.

   "Tea with Pepa, Abuela, and Julieta..." I read out loud. I grabbed my bag and walked to señora Pepa's room.

   "Come in!" she called. I pushed the door open and sat down in my usual rocking chair next to hers. Señora Julieta and Abuela were already seated.

   "Buenas días, señoras." I greeted, stirring my cup of tea.

   "Buenas días, dulce." señora Pepa responded, rocking in her chair.

   "How's your morning?" I asked.

   "It's going well, Imena. You?"

   "I'm feeling pretty good." I said.

   "You're in an excellent mood this morning." Abuela noted. I turned to look at her.

   "I'm going to have lots of fun today, Abuela." I said, smiling.

   "What are you doing?" señora Julieta asked. I took out my journal and flipped it open.

   "First, I'm having tea with you lovely ladies, then I'm going with Mirabel to hang with señor Félix and Agustín. After that, I'm spending time with the cousins and sisters." I explained. Señora Pepa chuckled quietly.

   "Your journal reminds me of Camilo's notebook. He always plans out what he's going to do for the day." she said. I felt my cheeks heat up slightly.

   "Well I mean, it's not his thing... plenty of people do that. That happens to also include me..." I said, nodding.

   "I understand, Imena." señora Pepa nodded. "Speaking of whom, are you two spending any time together today?"

My cheeks got even hotter, and I noticed Julieta glance over at señora Pepa as she asked the question, but didn't think much of it.

   "Uh...I don't know." I said, tilting my head. "If he wants to maybe. I'll ask."

   "Definitely ask." señora Pepa insisted.

   "Okay, I will."

~~~~~~~~

   After Imena and Abuela had gone, Pepa excitedly turned to her sister.

   "Did you see that?" she asked. Julieta tilted her head. "Her cheeks, the pink?"

   "Yes, I saw." Julieta smiled. Pepa squealed quietly, unable to contain the brightness of the rainbow above her head.

~~~~~~~~

   After tea, I skipped downstairs and met Mirabel outside with señor Félix and Agustín.

   "We're about to start another game!" she said, waving me over quickly. I sat down next to her.

   The four of us were playing chess. Señor Félix was a bit of a show-off. Or, maybe I just felt that way because I was absolutely horrible at it. I didn't understand it all.

   Señor Agustín tried to help, but at the end he was my enemy. Somehow he managed to be some type of underdog. Mirabel and I were so focused on beating señor Félix, he snuck a win.