Chapter 10: 𝑹𝒆𝒅𝒊𝒔𝒄𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚?

"Huh?" Camilo asked, his mouth ajar.

   "You said anything!" I said, raising my hands. Camilo bit his lip.

   "I...wasn't expecting that." he said. "No."

I sighed, crossing my arms and resting them on the table.

   "Your turn." I said. I had a feeling I already knew what he was going to ask.

   "Are you and Dario dating?" Camilo asked.

   Just like I thought.

   "No." I answered, turning to face him.

   "Do you want to date him?" he asked, raising a brow.

   "That's two questions, Camilo. It's my turn." I said. "Have you ever had a girlfriend?"

Camilo looked up, scratching his neck.

   "Mmm, let's talk about something else." he said. I exhaled, feeling my lips curl a bit.

   "Okay... who's your least favorite Madrigal?" Camilo asked.

   "Spare yourself." I said, pointing my brows. Camilo stifled a laugh. "Who's your favorite cousin?"

Camilo bit his lip.

   "Uh, not sure I should say... I'm not Mirabel's favorite." he said.

   "How do you know?" I asked.

   "She said so."

   "Why would she tell you that? What'd you do?"

Camilo shifted in his seat. "Technically I was Dolores when she said that she was her favorite, but she never retracted her statement."

   "See? You see why I accepted that you didn't like me? You never came back and corrected yourself." I said, shaking my head.

   "No, no. That's different. Mirabel's my cousin, best friend essentially. I could expect her to do that." Camilo justified.

   "It's really not that different." I said. "Your turn."

   "How did you really feel about the monster in my story?" Camilo asked. I scratched the side of my head.

   "I already told you that I'm fine." I said. "It didn't hurt my feelings."

   "No, I mean do you agree that you share similarities?" Camilo said.

   "Maybe." I said. "Was that your way of telling me?"

   "Telling you what?"

   "That that's how you see me."

   "Maybe."

   I leaned forward onto the table.

   "You're not very confrontational, are you?" I asked. Camilo shook his head.

   "No. I try not to be."

   I hummed. "Is that how you handle everything? Passively?"

   "If I can, yes." Camilo answered. I nodded, looking at the surrounding area. "Are you ready to go home?"

   "Yeah." I answered, standing up. I tilted my head. "Actually, I'm gonna go hang out with Dario for a while."

   "Oh." Camilo said, looking at me.

   "I'll be fine. You can just head home." I said, picking up my empty plate. Camilo airily kicked the dirt and nodded, putting his hands into his pockets.