(24)How Scandalous [Part 1]

Depuis le début

He felt as if it was the Mercer's way of staying connected with his family, and he wouldn't have minded much if it was the other Mercer daughter that Jason had fallen for. Nora seemed as if she would have been easier to control than Leigh—and the last thing they needed was an outspoken journalist wannabe marrying into their family. The secrets she could find out...

Jim shook his head at his own thoughts. He knew that there was no way Jason could ever be with Nora, and if Leigh ever became a huge threat, there were ways to dealing with her.

"How could you do that to me again, Jim?" Janice's voice sliced through Jim's thoughts. She had sounded desperate in that moment, and he knew why. He had promised her that she would never have to go back, but the truth was, he had known all along that she would. She was a wild card, and whenever situations were out of her control her mind would configure corrupted ways to tip the scales back in her favor. She and Jason were alike in that aspect.

"You tried to have Jason's fiancé killed Janice," Jim sighed, letting his thoughts float to the back of his mind. "I couldn't very well not address the situation. Leigh could have went to the police and would you be any happier if those allegations got out to the public?"

"She wouldn't have went to the police," Janice said in a certain voice. Jim eyed her wearily. He knew that sparkle in her eyes, and he didn't like it. It was the glint that told him there was more going on in Janice's head, and that she was or already had been thinking of a lethal plot.

"Even still," he continued, "you know how in love Jason is with Leigh. He would have taken it upon himself to see some action formed against you for trying to harm her. I think it's better for him to think that you are a bit eccentric rather than actually knowing that you tried kill his fiancé while in the right state of mind."

Janice gave out a harsh scream as she threw the glass in her hand against a bare wall. "You told me that they would have been given up the charade by now!" she screamed at Jim.

"They would have," Jim seethed, pacing the floor. "But you and Olivia couldn't keep your hands off of one another and you gave Leigh material to blackmail you with!" he continued. "I have to say, I didn't think she had it in her, but because of those pictures and videos, they aren't going to admit their engagement is a lie until we give Jason his inheritance early."

They were silent for a moment before Janice stomped her wedged heels against the marbled floor.

"If only there was a way to prove that she's only with Jason because of his money," Janice said slowly. "It doesn't take much for someone to come up with the idea of marrying rich. She's a smart girl; she's probably been playing the sweet and innocent role to disguise her true intentions." Jim was quiet as he rubbed his fingers against the lining of his dark facial hair. He was thinking, his head starting to hurt with all of the chaos invading his mind.

"I don't think that she's in it for the money," he voiced his opinion, "but, I still don't think her interests in Jason are completely genuine either."

"All we have to do is plant a shred of doubt into Jason's head," Janice smiled wickedly, her thin lips curving upwards and making her look sadistic.

"And how are we supposed to do that?" Jim humored his wife. He didn't like it when she got her crazy ideas, but he didn't want a Mercer marrying into his family. He figured that as long as Janice's plan wasn't dangerous, he could play along.

"They're on their way from Vegas," she mused, her mind already thinking of a trap that Jason and Leigh couldn't help but to fall in. Even if it meant coming to terms with an embarrassing secret, she was going to put an end to Jason and Leigh's relationship."Just follow my lead."