(21)Cruel Intentions

Start bij het begin

It was the reason why she had stored her purse in his room, hoping that when she came to get it on her way home, he would be in its vicinity. Yet, every time Leigh would make an excuse to leave, Janice would call for a maid to do it for her. So, the best way to get away was to fake having to use the bathroom. Leigh faked turning a corner of where the downstairs restrooms were, before looking over her shoulder to see if Janice was watching. In a quick motion, she sprinted up the stairs, taking two at a time.

By the time she had reached the fourth floor, she was exhausted and out of breath. She wiped her forehead, breathing heavily as she made her way to the double wide doors to Jason's room. Pushing the doors open, she was shocked to see a young guy in the room looking like a mad man as he searched the place. He jumped on upon seeing her, his eyes growing wide.

"Who the hell are you?" she asked, her voice going high as she crossed her arms. It was clear by his deer-in-headlights gaze that he wasn't supposed to be in the room, and Leigh didn't know why he was looking through Jason's things.

"Uh—"he stuttered. "Well—"Leigh watched as he tried to form a sentence. It was something about him that look familiar, from his light hair to boyish face. "I'm a maid."

"A maid?" Leigh asked incredulously. "But why are you...Wait a minute—"It was then that Leigh recognized him. He was clearly the boy who was suspiciously hanging around her car before she found out Jason had planned the bomb attack on her house. She was going to confront him but had got carried away when she overheard Jason's schemes, and then when she got in her truck, the breaks mysteriously stopped working.

The guy tried to walk passed her, but Leigh stepped to the side and blocked his path. "I kind of have other rooms to clean—"

"Cut the crap," Leigh snapped, sending a cold glare at him. If this was normal terms, she wouldn't have even thought about the coincidence, but with how her whole life was unraveling and schemes seemed to take over, she couldn't risk it. "You were by my car the other day, acting suspicious and then my brakes went out."

"I don't know what you're talking about," he stammered, his Adam's apple bobbing in his throat. Leigh was baffled and almost about to let him go when she looked down to see her purse in his grasp.

"Why do you have my purse then?" She asked, reaching down and pulling her purse from him. When he was quiet, she dug into her purse and pulled out her dogs repellent. "You have five seconds to tell me what's going on before I spray you," she threatened. "And trust me, this stuff stings a lot."

His shoulders slouched before he finally took a step back. He was young, probably no older than fifteen years old. Leigh was thankful for that, if he was older, he might have called her bluff.

"I was paid by the woman of the house to cut your brakes," he said, his voice quick. "I'm sorry, but it's a lot of money and my family needs it—"

"The woman of the house?" Leigh interrupted, her heart heavy in her chest. "You mean Janice?" The boy nodded his head rapidly.

"When she found out you survived the crash, she had me go look for your phone to delete a video off of it."

Leigh took many steps backwards, feeling extremely light headed. The boy took this time to run out, and Leigh didn't bother to go after him. Her ears were deafening as her knees seemed to give away. Her hands saved her fall, and she shook her head slowly. She had known that Janice would have tried to get back at her for blackmailing her, but to actually try to kill her.

She shook the thought out of her head, rising to her feet and hardening her face. Turning on her heels, she charged out of the door, not bothering to take the elevator; she needed to blow off some steam. She didn't know what she was going to say to Janice—maybe accuse her right away of being a malicious, conniving bitch or start a cat fight—whatever it was, she couldn't keep letting Janice run all over her.