18. End of The Road

•~•|•~•♡•~•|•~•

•~•|•~•♡•~•|•~•

The four walked up the road toward Adam's house in silence until Adam spoke up. "What are you looking at?" Adam asked as he noticed his dad staring at him.

"You're still here," He said looking at the three time-travelers.

"I figured after we eliminated time travel, you two would go back to your fixed times. It probably takes a while for 30 years of changed time to sort itself out," Louis said as Hailey and Adam observed their hands.

"I don't think we have long," Young Adam said as he looked away from his hands and shoved them back into his pockets.

"I can feel somethin' happening," Hailey said as she cringed at the unknown feeling. "Me too," Adam agreed. Louis walked into the house as the three followed hesitantly behind him.

"Sure it's okay for us to be here?" Hailey asked but meant it more of a question about her.

"It's fine. Their mom takes them to science club on Thursdays," Louis says as he sets the keys he had in his pocket in the bowl by the door.

Hailey walks toward the living room, giving the family some space as they talk. Hailey looked at old photos of Adam as she waited for them to be done.

"Hailey!" Adam called out as the three finished talking. Hailey turned around and walked over to the three.

"What are we gonna do now?" Hailey asked as she whipped Adam's tears with her sleeve. "There's gotta be somethin' we can do," Adam said looking up at his dad.

"I can think of somethin'," Louis said as he led the three out to the backyard and opened a box filled with toys.

"You really gonna do this?" Older Adam asked as Louis handed him a baseball glove. Hailey stayed with Louis as the two Adams walked off.

"Hey," Louis said grabbing Hailey's attention. "Take care of him, will ya?" Louis said as he pointed at young Adam.

"Of course. I always do," Hailey smiled. "He's lucky to have you," Louis said, patting Hailey on the back. Hailey looked at Adam as he talked with his older self.

She was the one who was lucky. 

"Play ball!" Adam yells as they get into their positions and toss around the ball.

Hailey wondered if she would remember any of this, she hoped she would.

Knowing she gets to live a life now, knowing Adam is happy whether or not she's around gives her comfort.

Hailey felt herself slowly slip away the more she played catch but she didn't want to be the one to drop the ball, she was way too competitive for that.

Hailey gave Adam one last look before she disappeared. 

|

"Hey mom," Hailey said as she walked down the stairs of her house. "Hey," Jasmine says dragging out the word as she notices Hailey's overall happy smile.

"What's wrong with you?" Nala asked as she watched Hailey happily make herself toast. "Nothing, why?" Hailey asked as she leaned against the counter.

"You just seem really happy," Jasmine said lightly nudging Nala. "Yeah, I guess I am," Hailey smiled to herself as she grabbed her toast and ate it.

"Oh, can I go to Adam's after school?" Hailey asked as she got a random feeling of deja vu when she mentioned Adam. "Sure honey," Jasmine said as she grabbed the keys and her purse. 

"Ready for school?" Jasmine asked as she walked toward the door. "Yeah," Hailey said as she left her house.

Hailey throughout the day got the feeling she was supposed to do something or talk to someone but she pushed it aside and knocked on Adam's door.

Adam opened his door and happily let Hailey inside.

The feeling she had been wrapping her head around had gone away the moment she stepped inside his house.

THE END

•~•|•~•♡•~•|•~•

•~•|•~•♡•~•|•~•