4. Chasing Cars

•♡•♡•

•♡•♡•

"Come on," Hailey said as she walked out of the shed and grabbed the bat. The two followed the man into the house. Hailey and Adam watched as the man opened the fridge, grabbed an apple, and closed it with his foot. "Come on." The man said frustrated that there was no more pizza in the pizza box. "Ah..." The man winced said holding his side. "Told you to stay in the garage." The man said as he opened a drawer under the sink and grabbed a towel.

"And let some creepy dude just wander around my house alone? I don't think so," Adam says as he unzips the man's bag. "Yeah, believe me. I don't wanna be here any more than you want me here. I just gotta stop bleeding long enough. Gotta dress the wound, prevent a nasty infection, and I will be on my merry way. " The man said walking back to the two with a towel pressed on his wound. "Don't touch that." The man said catching a ball Adam was tossing in the air. 

"I was just looking," Adam says looking down at a staff he took from the bag. "Don't touch my stuff." The man says again but in a more serious tone. "Is this a lightsaber?" Hailey asked stealing the staff out of Adam's hands. "No, it's not." The man said snatching the lightsaber out of the young girl's hand. "Okay," Hailey said exaggerating the word. Adam took the bat out of  Hailey's hand and brought up looking like he is gonna hit someone. "No. Enough with the bat!" The man yelled throwing the bat behind him.

"If I wanted to hurt you, I would have. If I'm being honest with myself, you have a very punchable face." The man said causing Hailey to lean forward to look at Adam's face. "Sort of," Hailey said standing up straight. Adam turned to look at Hailey with an offended look on his face. "I mean a very handsome face," Hailey said saving herself. "Oh my... Holy shit," Adam and Hailey say as the man lifts up his shirt revealing the wound.

"God! That... "Gah! That bullet went straight through. Good." The man said looking down at his wound. "Cool," Hailey said leaning in to get a closer look but getting held back by Adam putting his arm in front of her, speaking in the process. "Wait, wait, wait. Bullet? You were shot?" Adam asked shocked. "Yeah... No, actually, no. No, I was stabbed with a bullet. What do you think, you moron?" The man said causing Hailey to laugh. "I'm a moron? You're the one who was shot." Adam said glaring at Hailey and the man.

"All right, okay, that's it." The man says coughing making his wound make a weird noise. "That... Wow... That, uh... That's weird. It farts when I cough." The man said coughing again. "Stop coughing, I'm gonna hurl," Hailey said shoving her face in her hands. The man continued to cough causing Hailey to gag. "Gross," Adam said grabbing Hailey's arm and pulling her away from the man. "Super gross. I'm gonna go upstairs, and grab some stuff. Stay cool. You can trust me." The man agrees before he walked off toward the living room.

"Easy for you to say. I'm the one who ends up in a therapist's office, telling them about where the bad man touched me." Adam says as he and Hailey follow the man around the house. "Oh, God! That's where you go? Immediately? You are dark, man." The man said as he walked into the bathroom. "Who even are you? Hailey asked as she leaned against the door frame. "That is classified." The man said as pulling open the drawer. "Why are you here?" Adam asked as he walked and stood next to Hailey.

"Also classic..." The man stopped out of pain when he put hydrogen peroxide on his wound. "classified." The man continued after taking a deep breath. "Are you in the air force?" Hailey asked resting her elbow on Adam's shoulder. "When I say "classified," what does your brain hear? Chocolate?" The man said leaning down to be face to face with Adam and Hailey. "What's with the lightsaber?" Adam asked pulling Hailey with him as he followed the man outside of the bathroom. 

"It's not a lightsaber. Jesus Christ, Adam. I need you to play it cool." The man said causing the two kids to look at each other. "Wait. Wait," Adam said while the man continued to talk. "I know playing it cool isn't your thing. It never has been..." The man begins but gets interrupted by Adam pointing his finger at the man. "Wait, wait! How do you know my name?" Adam said pushing Hailey slightly behind him causing her to look at him confused.

•♡•♡•

•♡•♡•