𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝟕

The journey down to breakfast was even worse than when Delphina and Audrey got ready this morning. The hallway was so packed with people heading to the cafeteria that neither of them could slip away from the other. They were squished next to each other, trying to get to the stairs without getting trampled.

Delphina could see Audrey's eyes darting around nervously and sighed. The princess was truly desperate to not be seen with her. Delphina didn't understand the little seed of dejection that began to blossom in her stomach. After all, reputations were clearly as important on Auradon as they were on the Isle. If the roles were reversed, Delphina knew she'd treat Audrey the exact same way.

A part of Delphina just wished that worrying about reputation and status would be something she could've left on the Isle. That little pang of hurt in her chest came back, but Delphina ignored it and nudged Audrey.

"Hey," She whispered, making sure no one was watching them. Audrey jumped slightly and turned her head to face her. Delphina attempted to give her roommate a small smile. "If, uh, you don't want to be seen like this, I can act like I forgot something in the dorms and hang back for a few minutes." She suggested. Audrey looked at Delphina in confusion for a brief moment before quickly realizing what she meant. The look in her eyes morphed from one of confusion to one of utter realization, then one of apologies and guilt.

"Delphina--" Audrey began softly.

"Really, it's fine." Delphina dismissed. "My stamina is super high. I can handle not eating for a few minutes. You have a reputation to keep, right? I get it." Audrey began shaking her head vigorously. Her eyes darted around before she grasped onto Delphina's arm and yanked her into an empty hallway. "Ow!" Delphina yelped at the sudden tug on her arm. "For a princess, you're really strong." She mumbled, rubbing her arm once Audrey dropped it.

Audrey ignored her, wringing her hands nervously. "I'm so sorry. I know how I acted in the cafeteria during lunch yesterday was terrible. You have every right to hate me and I never meant to make you feel this way, but I panicked because everyone was staring at us and that's not an excuse but my grandmother would have found out and--" Audrey continued rambling until Delphina grabbed her shoulders.

"Audrey. Audrey!" Delphina shook the princess roughly, but briefly. Audrey clamped her mouth shut, eyes wide and sad. "Calm down. Breathe." Delphina guided the frantic girl through a few deep breaths until she visibly calmed down, shoulders loosening. "What do you mean your grandmother would have found out?" Delphina asked gently, removing her hands from Audrey's shoulders.

Audrey sighed, continuing to wring her hands. "It's just...my grandmother holds me to such high expectations. She basically sees me as her second chance at being a mother." Delphina nodded slowly in understanding.

"Because she never got to raise your mom..." Delphina murmured. Queen Aurora had spent her whole life hiding from Maleficent under the pseudonym 'Briar Rose'. Queen Leah never truly got a chance to meet or bond with her daughter.

Audrey nodded sadly. "Everything she never got to teach my mom she's been teaching me my whole life." Audrey sighed heavily, moving to lean against the wall. "She has all these expectations and guidelines to being royalty. I can only ever smile. I always have to entertain the press because I'll look cold and unapproachable if I don't. The only physical activity I'm allowed is cheerleading because that's the most fitting for a princess." Audrey listed off everything her grandmother expected from her as Delphina watched, shocked.

Audrey looked over at Delphina and her brows furrowed at her shocked expression. "Your grandmother sounds...scarily like mine." Delphina muttered, genuinely scared at the fact. Audrey laughed softly, nodding.