17 | 𝘚𝘔𝘈𝘓𝘓 𝘞𝘖𝘙𝘓𝘋

rosalind monroe's pov

"aalayna!" i yelled to the girl to get her attention, she jumped but when she saw me she calmed down a bit.

"rosalind, hi. you live in this neighborhood?" she asks, looking quite shocked. she probably didn't think she would see me around here.

"yeah, i live across the street. do you mind if i help you?" i said, pointing back at my house.

"yeah sure, can you take this box while i take this one. i'll show my room and you could meet my parents and siblings"

i grabbed the box and followed her inside the house and upstairs to her room where i set the boxes down and we continue the cycle, getting it done way quicker.

by the end of helping her with the boxes and meeting her parents and two little brothers i decided to head back home. the family was just now putting the interior decor and furniture like pictures and just stuff you'd see in a living room. i felt weird helping with that so i just decided to say my goodbyes.

i walked back to my house where mom was in the kitchen wearing workout stuff.

"hi hun, i'm going to go for a jog. can you take out the trash and clean your room while i'm gone. you know i don't like messy rooms" said mom, ugh she's amazing.

"yeah sure, do you want me to do the dishes too? i know you don't like doing them" i asked, i'm trying to shorten how long i'm grounded. if that doesn't work then i don't know what else i'm gonna do, i just have to be very good and make it clear i won't do it again.

"if you really want too, anyways thank you and i love you"

"love you too"

i think my plan is working, the more nicer i am the more likely how long i'm grounded will be only a month.

all of a sudden i get a knock in my door, since i'm sitting in the living room i can see who's at the front door and that is aalayna. i stand up and walk over to open the door.

"hello, i was wondering if you wanted to hang out? i have really nothing else to do except unpack but my mom wanted me to know the neighborhood before that" she says, with a hopeful expression in her eyes. i know i should be doing chores, but i can't turn her down.

"sure, we can hang out. but i hope you don't mind if i also do my chores and stuff. i'm kind of grounded right now but my mom doesn't want to cut off my social ties" i respond

"yeah i don't mind, we can get to know eachother in that time period. i could also help if you don't mind, i am very good at cleaning"

"you don't have to help. but first i have to bring the trash out and then i'll clean my room and then probably do the dishes. it depends, my mom is going for a jog and it usually takes her an hour to get home" i tell her, walking upstairs as she follows me to collect the trash bins before we return back down.

in the span of the hour that i was taking the trash out, cleaning my room, and doing the dishes we talked about all sorts of things. why she decided to move in the last trimester of school, which she said was because her parents wanted her to make friends for the summer, why i was grounded, i ended up telling her the whole story, when she starts school, which is next week, and other things. eventually she asked me where my dad was because i haven't mentioned him yet, i told her i never knew him and i don't think he knows i exist. she apologized and i said it was fine, i don't mind people asking.

"my mom will probably be back soon and you should really start unpacking your bags at home. maybe i can come by tomorrow and introduce you to my friends. i'm sure they'd like you" i tell her as we walk outside, i looked down the road and saw a figure running in the distance "yeah you should really get going, my mom is over there" i tell her, pointing down the road.

"that hour went by fast, it was nice talking to you. i'll see you tommorow" she says with a smile before jogging back over to her house while i walk into mine.

"you know you can't trick me rosalind, who was the girl you had over?" mom says as she walked in with a smirk, mom always loved talking about boys with me, but she began noticing in conversations like those i quickly lost interest, so i wouldn't be suprised if she suspected i was lesbian.

"oh just a girl i met at the movie theater a while back. her name is aalayna and you already figured this out but she's our new neighbors daughter. she's really nice. how'd you know she was over anyways?"

"i talked with the mom before i began my jog and she asked if her daughter could come over since they were the same age and i agreed. me and her mom actually went on a jog for a bit. i found out her younger sister was an old friend on mine from university, isn't that funny?"

"yeah, such a small world we live in"

published :: april 2nd 2022

- sincerely, rielle <3