Chapter Four

Ash parked on the side of the school and turned the car off.

"What are you doing?" Alex asked, slightly confused.

"I have a meeting with Miss Vickers." he replied as he opened his door.

He walked to the office while Alex walked to his class. Alex found Julia already sitting at her desk with her head resting on her arms.

"You look sleepy." Alex said, sitting down.

"I am...my mom had to wake me up earlier because she had a meeting with Miss Vickers." Julia said with a small yawn.

"My dad has a meeting with her, too. Must be a parent-teacher meeting."

"Miss Vickers won't be in here until the meeting is over. We'll have someone watching us and have a free day until she comes back." Julia muttered sleepily.

The bell rang and a girl, who Alex noticed was Val, walked into the room.

"Hey, kids. I'm just gonna watch over you until Miss Vickers is done. So just be good and you can talk to your friends or whatever, just don't get too loud. Okay?"

"Okay!"

Julia closed her eyes, deciding to take a little nap. Alex started to draw on a piece of paper.

Miss Vickers, Ash, and Dawn sat in the conference room.

"Thank you for meeting with me this early in the morning." Miss Vickers said.

"No problem at all." Dawn said.

"Not a problem." Ash said.

"Well, both of your children are doing wonderfully in school. Miss Berlitz, Julia has improved wonderfully. Her grades have gotten better, especially in Math. Mr. Ketchum, judging by Alex's grades from his past years in Kanto, his English has improved greatly. Your children, they make a wonderful team."

Ash sighed in relief, glad that Alex's English grade was getting better. Dawn smiled, knowing her daughter was doing better in Math.

"They're never without one another when they're in school. I've never seen such close friends before. You could almost say that they're like brother and sister! Julia has become more talkative while in class like the other kids. But she prefers to talk to Alex, mainly. It seems that she's finally coming out of her shell. Alex seems to stick with Julia, too. Occasionally, I see him talking to the others."

The door opened and Alex's hockey coach walked into the room. "Sorry, Miss Vickers. I just need to give Alex's dad something."

Miss Vickers nodded her head and Ash walked over to the coach while Dawn and Miss Vickers talked about Julia.

"I just wanted to let you know that your son...he has a real gift for hockey. I've never seen a kid like him play that well at that age. During tryouts, he did everything I asked of him, and then some. He seemed to want to prove to me, to the other boys, and to himself that he belonged on the team. Not once did he ever complain about how strenuous it was. He's even better than some of the third graders on the team!"

"Thanks. He lives and breaths sports." Ash said.

"Well, that's good. At least he's in good health. Anyway, here's his jersey, the rest of his uniform, and the team schedules so you know what's going on."