Chapter Twenty-three

Alex and Julia were sitting in the grass with Alan, Anthony, Grace, Isla, and Trey. It was recess time at school and they had decided to sit and talk.

"So what's the big thing that you had to tell us?" Grace asked.

"Our parents are engaged!" Julia cried.

"And you guys are all invited, as long as your parents come with you to the wedding." Alex added.

Grace smiled and jumped up happily. "You two are going to be brother and sister! You already act like it, so at least you won't hate each other."

Alex and Julia laughed. They knew that stepbrothers and stepsisters don't always get along when their parents get married. But they knew that it would work for them, since they were already best friends.

"That's great, you guys." Anthony said and Trey nodded his head.

"Congrats to your parents." Alan said.

"It's a happily ever after for you and your parents!" Isla said joyfully.

"So where's the wedding at?" Grace asked.

"We don't know yet. It's too early to know." Julia replied.

"We'll let you guys know as soon as we find out." Alex said.

After school, Alex walked into his house and was heading to his room, but looking into the living room, he stopped at the sight of who was there. His grandma, Delia.

"Grandma!" he cried, dropping his bag and running into the living room, hugging her excitedly. He hadn't seen her in almost a year.

"What are you doing here in Sinnoh?" he asked, pulling away.

"Your dad called me and told me to come to Sinnoh. He said that he had something important to tell me, so important that he couldn't say it over the phone and had to be done in person. I'm anxious to find out what it is." she replied.

Alex knew what it was and understood why his dad had called her to tell her to come.

Ash walked into the living room and looked at his mom. "Hey, Alex. Mom, I'm going to go and show you what I wanted to tell you about." Ash said and left the house before Delia could reply.

Ash walked across the street and into Dawn's house, hearing her talking to Julia and Johanna.

"Ash's mom is here and she's going to meet us all for the first time. We're also telling her that we're engaged." Dawn said.

Ash walked into the room, greeting them.

"I can't wait to meet her!" Julia cried, excitedly.

Johanna was smiling, happy to be meeting the mother of the man that her daughter was in love with.

"Ready?" Ash asked.

Dawn sighed softly. "I'm feeling really nervous."

I'm marrying Delia's son and I want to make a good impression on her. What if she doesn't approve of me? Dawn thought, worrying herself. Unknown to her, she had spoken her thoughts out loud.

Ash walked over to her and took one of her hands. "Dawn, look at me." he said and she looked up.

"My mom's going to love you, Dawn. She sees the good in everyone. She'll be crazy not to approve of you. You're everything that she wanted me to find in someone after I lost Misty." Ash said, running his thumb along her hand.

"Ash is right, Dawn. She's going to approve of you. Just be yourself and you'll be fine." Johanna said, squeezing Dawn's hand reassuringly.

"No need to worry, mom. If Mr. Ash and Alex like you, I know that she'll like you, too." Julia said, smiling at her mom, who smiled back.