Tears immediately clouded my vision. "Oh my God..." I mumbled as my eyes roamed Dylan's face. There was color to her cheeks that hadn't been there in nearly three weeks now. There was a sparkling glint to those dark eyes I routinely lost myself in. My heart pounded in my ribs for an entirely different version as I tried to blink myself out of what I thought was no more than a hallucination, a vivid dream of what I wanted most in the world.

My eyes flickered to the amused expression on Shayne's face. "Is... what?" I choked out, the emotion coursing through me keeping me frozen and causing my voice to crack.

"Well, don't just stand there," Shayne smirked. "She's been waiting for you."

I sharp breath punched its way out of my lungs, and I looked back to Dylan, who was just staring at me, her usual slightly mischievous grin on her face. Her eyebrows raised slightly, almost in challenge, and I knew. I knew she hadn't forgotten anything. She knew exactly who I was, and she knew exactly what we were to each other. She was still my Dylan.

Though my legs felt like they were about to give out, I forced them to take me toward her bed. I was floating. There wasn't a single thought in my head, other than getting to the girl before me. I squatted down and laid my palm against her cheek. She instantly closed her eyes and gave a happy little smile. Feeling her warmth, feeling her life, my heart swelled.

I didn't say anything as the tears of relief began trailing down my cheeks. I leaned forward and pressed my forehead to hers. Her hand, still attached to an IV, rose to cover mine, and we just sat like that for a few moments. Or what felt like a few moments. In reality it was likely no more than a few seconds, but, at that point, it felt like everything.

I pulled back just to press my lips to her forehead and breathe in her scent. Somehow even after all of this time, it was still slightly floral, still warm. It was still her, even beneath all of the hospital, medical, chemical-ness of her surroundings. "You're back..." I whispered softly, trying to hide the sniffle afterward. Her head nodded against my lips, her hand still clutching mine on her cheek. I lifted my lips from her head and met her eyes. "I missed you."

Again, she just nodded, and I heard Shayne clear his throat. "She can't talk yet," he stated, giving his sister a comforting smile, "but we're working on it."

She looked at Shayne and gave a soft smile and nodded her head again before looking back into my eyes. Her eyes looked slightly sad, and she gave me a pursed grin. She was disappointed. I could read it in her eyes as if she had said the words herself.

I gave her a grin. "That's okay. You can be my little mermaid now."

Her giggle was more of a short burst of air, but the worry almost completely disappeared from her expression. I watched her swallow. I watched her breathe. I watched every little thing about her, just because I hadn't been able to for what felt like eternity.

I pressed my lips to her forehead again. "We'll figure it all out, baby. I promise," I whispered against her slightly clammy skin. I felt her nod against my lips. I pressed a long kiss there before I brought my eyes back to hers. "How're you feeling?"

She lifted her hand and held it flat, tilting it from side to side.

"So-so? Are you sore?"

Her hand now made a pinching motion, a tiny bit of space between her thumb and forefinger.

"A little?"

She nodded.

"What can I do?"

A little grin curved her lips before she tapped her index finger right in the center of them and I laughed.