Everything Red: Shayne

Red.

I saw nothing but red.

I'm not sure it would've mattered who was standing in front of me. I was ready and willing to take them all out, one by one. Unfortunately for Asher, he was the first face I saw, and rational thought had gone out the window the second I got the call from my father.

"Shayne!" Lita screamed the second my fist connected with his jaw.

Fuck, that thing was carved out of stone. It felt like I'd done more damage to my knuckles than his fucking face.

"What the fuck?!" Asher cried, spinning to face me, eyes wide with bewilderment.

"What did you fucking do?!" I roared, my face and eyes red with worried tears. "What did you do to her?!"

"It wasn't me!" Asher shouted, as Ryder angled his body in between us. I could feel Mason at my back, ready to stop me from inflicting any more damage, but I didn't care. I didn't care about anything but Dylan.

"Jesus fuck, you hit hard," Asher mumbled, working his jaw back and forth. I could already see a bruise starting to form just above his five o'clock shadow.

"You were the last one to see her!"

"No, I wasn't!" Asher exclaimed. "The cops were there before I was, so I guess you were the last one to fucking see her!"

"What are you trying to say?!"

"WHAT ARE YOU?!"

"Guys, fucking chill out!" Mason commanded, wrapping a hand around my elbow, cocked back and ready to swing my fist again. "This isn't helping anything!"

"Tell me you didn't hurt her," I snarled through gritted teeth, my anger beginning to give way to utter despair. "Just tell me you didn't hurt her."

Judging by the glisten in Asher's eyes, I knew he felt where I was coming from. I knew he was taking no offense to my behavior or lack of decorum. I knew that in some way, he felt like he deserved it.

Asher sighed softly. "I didn't hurt her, Shayne," he stated, his voice firm and even. I watched his head start to wave, slowly, from side to side. "I would never hurt her. I love her, Shayne."

As his last word fell, I crumpled to the ground like a leaf in the fall, not even Mason's arms, banded around my chest able to stop me. The next thing I knew, Lita was on her knees, arms wrapped around my neck as I sobbed against her shoulder.

"I should've never left her there," I wept. "I should've never taken her home. I should've brought her home with me and none of this wouldn't have happened."

"Shhh," Lita soothed, cradling my head in her hands. "You couldn't have known, Shayne. It's not your fault."

I lifted my watery eyes and looked at Asher. "I'm sorry. I'm so fucking sorry, I don't..."

Asher just waved his head again. "Don't, Shayne. I think we're all on edge right now. I get it."

"When's your dad get in?' Lita asked as I sank from my knees to my butt on the floor and wiped my tear-stained cheeks.

I shook my head. "He's on a flight now. Should land in the next hour or so." I sniffed and unceremoniously wiped my nose on the sleeve of my hoodie. A complete and total Dylan move that instantly made me chuckle and broke my heart at the same time. "Have they said anything?"

Ryder's shook his head. "They just rushed her right into surgery. I overheard something about swelling on the brain, but no one's told us much."

Lita let out a tiny giggle and I glanced at her. "What?"