Chapter 12: A Bitter Winter

Three years have passed since the big event happened with the group. Winter, Thalia, Nyxen, and Bruce all escaped after they had killed the tower in the city they thought they'd rummage for supplies for quite some time. Now, they have set up camp in an abandoned arcade. With Winter at the age of 16 , she has grown up a lot faster than everyone thought. Nyxen at the age of 26, has become less childish and more hardened by the four years they've been in this apocalypse. He has come to be in charge of any and all supply runs they needed to make. Thalia at the age of 28, makes sure she does recon on the roof of the arcade until nightfall. Growing to see Nyxen as her little brother and Winter as her own kid. Bruce at the age of 34, stays at camp most of the time making sure the zombie traps are functional and helps Thalia with recon as well as cooks all the meals for the group. Bruce has also been called dad by Winter a lot more now as she has come to see him as a father figure to her.

The group have gotten their roles set and all four of them have grown to treat each other like a big family. The temperature was beginning to drop real low as the winter season starts making it difficult to go out for supplies. Though, they prepared for this all of the fall season by going on supply runs everyday so they could stash everything for this winter.

"So, think we have enough now to start going on fewer runs?" Winter looks to Nyxen as he nods his head before speaking up, "Yeah, we're good. Should be doing every three days right now and when the snow starts, it'll be by the week. We've been lucky with this city with people not hitting it that we know of and plenty of supplies." She nods in response before getting up onto her feet. Nyxen lets out a small sigh as she leaves the backroom where they held all of the supplies. He felt as if she was handling this new world a little too well for someone as young as she is. Especially when Bruce had told him she was 12 when it all had started.

"Unfair that she had to be placed in such a terrible world. Especially having her world crumble and be reshaped to just survive. She should be out in school learning, growing, have interests and hobbies." Bruce had snuck in while he was counting the supplies, writing down the numbers and making sure everything was being rationed. "Well now, that is somethin that we can both agree on Nyx. Such a shame she has to deal with all this happenin." Bruce's southern accent was one to always lighten the mood but fierce enough when needed. "Hey Bruce." He nods to the stacks of supplies and turns to face Bruce. Bruce had been growing a beard over the years and it was fitting for him. "Everything all set for the comin winter bucko?" Nyx nods in response to Bruce's question. He hangs the clipboard on a nail in the wall before leaving the storage room.

Nyxen makes it to the main room where they had gutted all the games that they could, he sees Thalia drinking from her flask of water. "Hey Thalia. Where did Winter go?" She spins the cap back on her flask and sets it down beside her, "She took over the watch tower for the day. You know, she's been very helpful with everything. Mainly going on runs and just helping any way she can." He chuckles as he sits down across from her. Nyxen sighs in relief of being able to relax for more than an hour or two before heading to bed. "Yeah, I think she's learning quickly and taking after Mr. Smooth-Talker back there." Thalia laughs and nods in agreement. It was good seeing the father-daughter relationship with Winter and Bruce. It brought normalcy amongst everything happening in the world. "Gonna grow up to be one hell of a woman. Hate that it took this bullshit to form her this way. Though, you've grown up too Nyx." He shakes his head, a small smile forming on his lips. "Well, have to atone for how I fought with my brother somehow. I can't let him be disappointed even in the afterlife." Thalia lets her smile drop, knowing how hard it still must be for him.

"Hey, don't beat yourself up. Your brother is proud of you no matter if this happened or not. He just had different views than you on some things." Bruce interrupts without them knowing he had walked in. "For damn sure is. I don't know him, but I'm sure as all hell that he's proud of ya. That you're learnin lessons and movin on after everything. Just like my Lil' Snowflake." Nyxen wipes a tear away and smiles. "Thanks Bruce." Bruce tips his dirty old hat to them before walking off. He was heading up to the roof to check on Winter and see how she's doing. He climbs up the ladder, pulling himself up onto the roof and looks around. Once he spots Winter, he walks on over. "Are we clear ma'am?" She turns to face him and shakes her head with a smile. "Hey dad, and yeah. Been clear so far, but I feel like that's all we've been reporting. Makes me wonder if deeper in the city is where they could be." Bruce looks out over the city, shaking his head and basking in the sunlight.