Chapter 10: Bruce, Winter

Winter wakes up for the morning, her eyes open up to look around the room. She takes hold of the left tank top strap and pulls it up onto her shoulder. "Maybe we'll find better clothes out in the city. Ones that will actually fit." She gets out of bed as the shorts she's wearing sag a little to show a little of her panties. She lets out a yawn as she walks to the dresser and changes into the pants that did fit, but was rather tight on her. Then she takes the tank top off to put on a baggy t shirt and walks out of the room to the bathroom.

She grabs the handle of the hairbrush she had packed when this all started a year ago. She looks at it, her thoughts filled with where her parents could be. Without much more thought on it, she began to brush her hair. She finishes up on her hair and sets the brush down softly, taking a look in the mirror. Her sky blue eyes catching a few bruises, scars, and healing cuts on her face and along her torso. "Guess this is a look that's the new normal."

She walks away from the mirror and exits the bathroom, turning the light off as she leaves. She walks into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water from the counter. Winter takes a look over to Bruce still asleep on the couch, a slight smile forms on her lips. If he hadn't shown up in that grocery store when he did, she would have no idea where she'd be as of now. She twists the cap on the bottle to open it and takes a sip, the taste of water in the morning had always gave her a boost for the day.

She takes the flask off the table she always took with her on their runs. She pours the rest of the water from the bottle and into the flask, twisting the cap back on. She grabs the utility belt from the table as well and loops it through the belt loops on her pants, putting the flask that fit well in the gun holster. She walks to the front door, opening it, walks outside, and heads to the back towards the shed. Winter walks up to the generator, grabs the rip chord that is used to turn it on and jerks back with her right arm. The generator doesn't start and mocks her as she had always seen Bruce start it on the first try. She tries again, jerking her arm back faster this time and it acts as if it was going to start but dies out. "This damn piece of worthless junk!" She yells out as she kicks it hard but quickly regrets it as she had forgotten to put on her boots. "FUCK!" She screams out in pain as she falls onto her butt, holding her bare foot that was searing in pain.

She hadn't heard anyone approaching her as she checks her foot for any damage when Bruce spoke to her. "Now, that's no way fer a young lady to be speakin." He chuckles softly as he walks over to her, putting a hand out for her to grab. Once she puts her hand in his, he pulls her up and holds onto her to help her balance. "Generator will be fine this mornin Snowflake. Go ahead n' check the traps. I'll be gettin the gear packed up in the truck n' we can be gettin to town." She nods in annoyance that she couldn't get the generator started as she walks out of the shed.

"A determined lil hailstorm." He talks to himself as he walks back to the cabin, walking inside to grab their gear. He checks on how they were doing for food, water, and ammo. He knew they didn't have much ammo but they never really used them that it wasn't something they ever really looked for. He nods as everything looked good enough for the trip and grabs the bags in one hand and grabs his rifle in the other. Everytime he grabbed the rifle, he always thought about his family before everything. It always reminded him of the times his daughter had always asked to go hunting with him in such happiness that was rather infectious.

Bruce smiles for a few short seconds before he heads outside towards the truck. He opens up the door and tosses the bags in the back, then he sets his rifle on the gun rack set up on the back window inside. He now waits for Winter to finish with checking the traps. "Now, the lil gal is takin her sweet time ain't she?" After he says that, Winter rounds the corner, her blonde hair bouncing with every step she took.

Winter opens the passenger door and gets in, closing the door. Bruce gets in the truck himself and closes the door, turning the key in the ignition to start it. The truck comes alive as the engine begins to rumble loudly. Winter seems to love it every time the truck starts, a smile on her lips and a spark in her eyes. This forms a small smile on his lips seeing her reaction every time. He begins driving from the cabin, a thought in his mind. He turns to the left instead of turning right to head towards the city as he was going to head towards to a different town nearby. He knew it'd be a few hours before they reach their destination. He was only wanting more time with Winter before they had to go on their survival instincts.