Chapter 30: Sparring

Start from the beginning

"As I stated before, we created a newborn army- and we never let them live past a year. You see, a newborn army doesn't need hundreds like a human army. And no human army could stand against them," he said menacingly.

"We are never more physically powerful than in our first year, as our human blood still remains in our tissues," Carlisle explained. Jasper gave him a nod.

"Which is why they are created," he twisted the word 'created' with disgust as it came out. His story finished there, and I rolled my eyes at the fact that he'd made us wait for that. Dramatic vampires. "The two most important things to remember are first- don't let them get their arms around you, they will crush you instantly," he walked back and forth in front of us as he spoke, his back ramrod straight and arms folded behind him, eyes steely and commanding. It wasn't hard to see the soldier in him then. "And second! Never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that. And you, will lose."

He stepped back and smirked. "Emmett! You're up," he snapped. The brawny Cullen stepped forward, a grin on his face.

"My pleasure," he said confidently and I snorted. This is gonna be good.

Jasper backed up several meters, as did Emmett, before they both took ready stances. Carlisle counted down for them... and they both moved on 3. I stood on all fours to watch them, pacing excitedly. Emmett barrelled forward like an unstoppable bull. Jasper stalked forward, his movements calculated and precise. The military training was again obvious in the way he moved.

It didn't take a genius to figure out that Emmett was meant to represent the newborn in this scenario. He relied on his brute strength, going for the obvious kill just like Jasper had said not to. Two simple, barely noticeable moves and Jasper had the bigger vampire on his back.

"Again!" Em shouted, jumping to his feet in one swift move. "And this time I won't be playing newborn," he smirked cockily, cracking his knuckles.

When do we get to have a go? I whined. My mind was awash with different ways to take my favourite Cullen down. I'd been waiting a long time for this.

"Sure you won't," Jasper chuckled, winking at his brother before backing up again.

Emmett had a different strategy this time, feigning an attack before actually getting his hands on Jasper- and sending him flying. There was no denying that Emmett was by far the strongest vampire here. As if that was up for debate.

"Better," Jasper nodded at Emmett. He looked to Edward now, and he ruffled Jakes fur before approaching his brother. "No cheating," Jasper warned.

Edward smiled dangerously, "wouldn't dream of it."

The brawny vampire took up residence beside me again. I observed watchfully as him and Jasper fought. It was obvious Edward was using his extra talent, but his counter moves weren't sloppy. They were precise, similar to Jasper's own movements, but perhaps with a little less practice. All in all, it was fairly impressive. He was a skilled opponent that relied more on strategy than someone like Em.

The pack mind was suddenly saturated with Jake's dirty ass thoughts about his friggen imprint. Ughhh.

Dude- come on! Seriously? Right now? Quill complained. The rest of us groaned along with him.

What?! I can't help how... absolutely sexy he looks when he's doing that! Jake defended.

Edward must have heard his thoughts, because suddenly he was looking at Jake... and Jasper had him on his ass. Oops, sorry babe, the wolf thought, and I couldn't help snickering and Em was outright laughing at his idiot brothers misfortune.

"Ha- sometimes that pesky talent isn't so great," he chuckled.

"Never turn your back on your enemy," Jasper said smugly to the brother laying on his back.

I was growing impatient and gave up on waiting as I marched up to Jasper and thought, my turn to knock Em on his ass.

"Paul wants a turn," Edward chuckled in translation as he hopped to his feet.

Jasper smirked and nodded, looking at Emmett and stepping away from me. Everyone knew we wanted to test each other, always had.

"This one's mine," Emmett did the knuckle cracking again and I huffed a laugh which made him grin.

I've been waiting a long time for this, I thought with excitement.

Focus Paul, Sam commanded.

Yeah, he'll never let you live it down if you lose, Jared snickered.

I tuned them out and focused on the burly vampire that was becoming a fast best friend, preparing myself.

Jaspers voice rang out,

"Three, two, one!" He shouted the last word and Emmett barrelled forward. I smirked.