Chapter 30: Sparring

Start from the beginning

"And you think I should just let you go riding off to risk your life like some knight in shining armour? I don't think so!" Jake scoffed. I looked away, because I knew them well enough to know a kiss of some kind was imminent. And lord knows I'd seen enough of that to last me a lifetime.

"We're all in this," Sam spoke in a tone that brooked no arguments, nodding his head at Carlisle.

"He's right Edward," Carlisle agreed gently.

"Edward is right too- you don't understand," Jasper stated seriously. The mood in the room changed to ominous, reflecting Jasper's own emotions no doubt. "A newborn army is a serious threat."

"Please... feel free to explain," Jared said testily, and I had half a mind to tell him. No one had elaborated. But Jasper narrowed his eyes at him before continuing and I knew it was best he tell it.

"I had... a different upbringing than my siblings," he started darkly. "It was 1863. I was the youngest major in the Texas cavalry at 17. I had always been good at... persuading people to see things my way," he smirked. "Maria found me and changed me. Together we built a newborn army to fight in the southern vampire wars. Humans called it the civil war."

"Perhaps we can finish this explanation in the clearing?" Carlisle interrupted mildly. Jasper and the rest of the Cullen family nodded their understanding. "We'll need practice- and Jasper can show us how." He explained for the packs benefit, and a new, excited energy entered the room.

"Yes," Jared fist pumped. I couldn't help grinning widely. I'd happily spar with any of these jokers any day of the week.

Emmett grinned at the pack with the same excitement. "Follow me," he said, before bounding out the window and into the forest.

I was directly behind Emmett, shouting with excitement as I raced after him. I stripped when we hit the trees, throwing my clothes carelessly and phasing mid stride. I refused to let him get too far ahead. Because, come on... everything's a competition with Em, isn't it? It was one of my favourite things about him, something we definitely had in common. We all ran full tilt to wherever he was leading us, the Cullen's close behind. We burst through the trees into a very large clearing, and I assumed this was our destination. We all looked around with interest, and noticed the worn patches in the grass in a few places. The Cullen's must use this place often.

I won, Jake thought smugly, nose high and proud as he burst into the clearing minutes later.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, my love," Edward winked.

Are you two love birds done? I thought in annoyance, rolling my eyes.

Oh please! You're just jealous that your imprint isn't here, Jake shot back.

I turned away from where I was taunting Emmett to growl at the russet coloured wolf. The words were like a dagger to the chest. He didn't understand, he got to see his imprint every damn day.

Boys, Sam snapped, and He immediately backed off. It took me a few more seconds, and a lot of concentration... but with thoughts of Stiles I calmed quickly.

The imprint has seriously changed you dude, Jared chuckled in the pack mind.

You've got that right, Embry agreed.

I felt myself stand a little taller, a little prouder.

Can we focus? I want to hear the rest of Jasper's story, Seth said excitedly. His eyes were already on the vampire with the military stance.

We all gathered together, sitting or laying in front of the vampire. I sat back on my haunches and Emmett came to lean against my shoulder. I didn't mind the contact, and recognized that he was doing it out of comfort, not necessity. There was a silence before Jasper began again.