Chapter Thirty Five - Becoming the pawn

The sun had not been gentle with them. It seemed as if every minute the temperature had been increasing, its one goal to burn them.

"We need to find shade," Lana panted.

Sarah's logic had in fact worked because little to no police were going to suspect the criminals to camp out in a five star hotel, only they had taken refuge on the roof. John B had left to go retrieve them some food, and they weren't sure how he did it but when he had returned, he had a platter full of carbohydrates. They figured that he must've swiped it whilst staff had turned their backs, presenting them with a serving full of Pain au chocolat's and plain pieces of freshly baked bread.

Lana didn't hesitate to bolt straight over to John B and snatch the platter from out of his hands, taking a piece of bread in her mouth as she set the wooden plate down on the ground for everyone to eat. Soon, all the bread had almost vanished due to the rapid consuming, as if tomorrow didn't exist and that had been the last time they would ever eat.

"When has bread ever tasted so good?" JJ sighed, feeling thankful now that his cause of death wouldn't have been something like starvation.

When all the bread had vanished, JJ gave the last piece in his hand to Lana since she had been the most famished, semi-concussion and all. Even after, their hunger had not been fully satisfied; all the food in the world couldn't have been enough for them in that moment but it made do for the time being.

"Did you get any water?" Lana asked John B.

"I only had time to swipe the platter."

"I'll go," she volunteered, getting up swiftly to go hunt for some water when Sarah grabbed her wrist.

"I'll come with you."

"It's fine, it'll be quicker if I go alone."

She walked back into the building, trying to casually merge with the crowed as her eyes explored the entire place for some water.

She had been too distracted by the pit in her stomach, churning with anxiety. Although it wouldn't have been impossible, she knew that it had been unlikely for Ward to have found them that quickly, but that didn't prevent her fear of accidentally bumping into him. She didn't quite know what she'd do if she saw him, if she ever saw him. As much as she wished to have been rid of Ward forever, she knew that he was far too cunning and annoying to kindly leave them alone, even if in his eyes they were dead. Every time her mind asked the question of wether she would ever see Rafe again, she immediately pushed it away. She couldn't quite bring herself to fully conclude on the fact that she may never see him again, because that would mean that she had to submit to a form of pain she never even knew existed. She wasn't even sure if it had been a selfish act to prevent any thought of him for her sake, but she liked to keep even the tiniest bit of unrealistic hope that she'd one day be generously reunited with him.

In the midst of her thoughts, she spotted a jug of water being served by a waiter in the restaurants area.

Walking over naturally to the sight, the waiter had placed the jug on an empty table and left it there, leaving it out in the open for Lana to snatch and run.

"Excuse me Ma'am, can I help you?" a member of staff asked her, eyeing her clothing which had various patterns of mud all over them.

"Why yes, I am just exhausted. Nothing excites me more than to get out of these clothes. I wouldn't mind two Bacardi Coconut Pineapples delivered to my suit on the second floor actually."

Cleary caught of guard, the staff member nodded. "Of course, right away."

When he had scurried off to place the order, Lana took this opportunity to dash over to the jug and speed-walk out of there to head back onto the roof as fast as she could.