Chapter Twenty Five - Movement in the plan

"The Crain house?" Lana exclaimed. "No way, sorry I can't."

John B threw his hands in the air, not taking 'no' for an answer. "Don't tell me you listened to JJ's stories."

"Hey," JJ yelled, his tone dripping with offence. "I knew Hollis."

"You knew Hollis Crain?" Pope asked him, not buying a single word that came out of his mouth.

"She used to babysit me dude."

"Your Dad had money for a babysitter?" Kiara remarked, adding on to Pope's disbelief.

Lana frowned, feeling like that was the wrong thing to say. "Kie don't say that," she murmured, trying to sound as harmless as possible.

"Listen," John B began, trying to gather their attention and commitment. "All we have to do is get into her basement and find a water supply." The crowd didn't seem too convinced. "She's like one hundred years old or something, how hard can it be?"

Sarah gave in, nodding. "I'm in."

"Whatever," Pope agreed.

Kiara nodded also.

"I die, I'm blaming it on you," JJ declared, opening his sunglasses and putting them on.

"You can't blame anyone, you'll be dead," Kiara muttered.

They all looked hopefully at Lana, on edge of the response she would give.

"Fine," she rolled her eyes, surrendering to the pressure.

They set off into the direction of the Crain house, John B using the plat map as guidance as they reached a stone wall. "This way," he told them, climbing over the wall.

They stood under the trees that approached the house; it was a tall and beaten up building, melting with dull colours that gloomed from the years of discolouration.

"She cut her husband's head off and ate it," JJ calmly told them, causing Lana to snort and burst out with laughter.

"I highly doubt she cooked her husband's head and ate it for dinner," Pope assured him, disappointed in his friend's thought process.

"Nah bro, she ate it raw," JJ informed him.

"Okay JJ, enough," John B irritably complained, shushing him.

"She eats your head, don't say I told you so." Lana's laughter continued, turning silent from the intensity of it, forever finding amusement in JJ's commentary. "Shut up," he barked at her, only causing her to laugh harder, spreading the hysteria to the rest of the group.

"Okay so," John B began, leaving his laughter behind and turning serious again, "we need to get to there," he told them, pointing to the wooden door that lead underground to the basement. "Stay quiet. She's ancient, not deaf."

JJ saluted him in agreement and they all followed John B to the wooden door, breaking the lock off as silently as they could before going inside.

They began to tap and kick on various things, trying to find a water source.

"One wrong move and the whole house will topple on you," JJ informed them.

"Where are you getting your information from?" Kiara asked him, growing annoyed at his random comments. Lana found them funny.

"I got my information from just using my eyes," he spat at her.

The two of them continued to bicker back and forth whilst the others continued their mission. In a sudden manner, Pope started to quickly move the wooden planks on the floor away. When they were all removed, a well was revealed, making a tiny splash with a penny was dropped into it.