Chapter Thirty Three - Gone.

Numb.

Lana couldn't quite accurately identify what she had been precisely feeling in that moment. It had been a feeling she was alien to but if she had to take a guess, she would say she felt numb.

Time froze as she watched the bullet fly towards Peterkin, her eyes fixated on him.

Even after she had seen with her own eyes what she hoped so dearly to have been a blur in her vision, she still allowed the disbelief to consume her whole.

She thought she knew him. After everything, she thought she actually knew him.

She allowed herself to be disadvantaged in the fact that he would do anything for her, that he would give up the entire world for her but clearly she saw past something a lot more darker.

The scene had paused in a freeze frame in front of her, her heart falling straight down to her stomach as she watched the event commence.

She saw him grab the gun out from his pocket.

She saw him pull the trigger with his unaffected expression.

She wished she hadn't seen anything at all.

"Rafe," Sarah breathlessly sighed, backing away from him.

She hadn't had feared him before, even when he attempted to kidnap her, she had still refused to fear him.

This time, it was different.

Sarah loved him; she'd know not what to do if anything had ever happened to her brother because despite the age declaring Sarah as the younger, she saw him as a little boy. She saw him as a little boy in need of protecting so she would act as his guardian angel.

She never thought he'd be so capable of taking a life.

Even Ward remained astonished, shaken to his core at the fact that his son had been the one to not only follow in his footsteps, but to save him.

Sarah let out a cry as she flung herself onto Sheriff Peterkin, placing her hands firmly on the wound as John B assisted her. "Help her!"

She couldn't see properly through her sobs, panicking at the blood on her hands.

"What did you do?" JJ cautiously expressed, staring in awe at the scene, glancing over at Rafe who glanced back at him with a glint of devilry in his eyes.

"Take your sister home," Ward told him, pulling Sarah off of Peterkin as he put on the performance of his life to act as if he were helping her.

"She's not going anywhere,"
John B snapped, ready to jump at Ward.

Rafe marched his way over to Sarah as John B took notice and tried to stop him, but Ward stopped him with his arms.

"You might want to get going Son," Ward spat. "Since you killed Miss Pete and all."

His eyes spiralled into a world of shock, nodding his head. "No," he panted, "no you can't put this on me."

"But," Ward began again, a devilish smirk arising on his smug face, "you killed the sheriff!" His voice was sarcastically playful, evil.

"Don't do this!" Sarah cried out through her tears, backing away from Rafe who was still walking towards her.

John B made a run for it, he simply did not have any other choice. JJ went to follow him but he stopped and stayed, he wasn't going to leave the girls alone with Rafe and Ward.