4.

- All things are difficult before they're easy

- All things are difficult before they're easy. -

CW: mention of drugs, death and James with curly hair. Yeah, that needs to be a warning according to me thank you.

Sunday rolled around the corner, and every Sunday, as if it was written in stone to those who lived the Hawaiian life, meant visiting the farmers market on the beach at sunrise.

Steve had invited James to tag along with the friend groups weekly visit to the market. The two currently sat outside on Steve's porch with a cup of coffee in their hands as they watched the brightening horizon in front.

" Thanks for letting me sleep at yours for the night. I still can't believe the movers forgot to bring the bed when bringing over the other furnitures yesterday. " James said with a huff.

" It was never an option, you know that, but it will arrive today, right? Not that I don't mind you here but I'll have to leave early in the morning for work. "

" Yeah, later today. You still working at the elementary school? " James asked his friend.

" Yes, I do. It's the best job I ever had so far. The kids and staff are amazing, we're like a whole little family. " His face lit up just talking about his work, like he always did whenever that topic crossed them. He was a saint with Rebecca, she adored the man so much, he could only imagine how the kids at school looked up to him.

James took a sip from the strong and warm drink. He thought about the time he'd told his best friend about his work, the hidden world underneath the law firm. He was the only one beside the employees who knew about it. It was as shocking for Steve as it was for James for the first time, but Steve never questioned his friend. Not even when James asked him if he wanted to be apart of it. He knew about the reason of starting that hidden side, it made his heart calm for a little while despite as brutal as murdering were. He also learned that the only thing George Barnes wanted was to make a change in his beloved city. To make it a safer place to those who lived there.

Was violence the only outcome to find peace? Maybe not, but they couldn't exactly just stand there and roll their thumbs while violence and murders happened on a daily basis. Without bringing the right punishment and justice to the people who deserved it.

Let's just say they did the more dirtier part of the officers jobs. The ones they weren't exactly allowed to do.

" You know you can always come to me if you decide to try something else. "

" And give my mom an invite to come and haunt me for the rest of my life? Don't think so pal. " Steve scoffed and shook his head.