She slipped intoher social studies class and dropped into her seat in the back of theclassroom. No one stopped what they were doing. She would'veexpected to be questioned by the teacher or asked for a pass, butthat was not the case.

Normally, Zoewasn't a student who contributed or participated in any class. Butthat particular day, she raised her hand, offering to answer everyquestion the teacher asked. She would've expected a teacher to callon the usually timid student who suddenly wanted to participate. Butthat did not happen. She remained as invisible as ever.

At lunch period,Zoe confidently strode to a different spot than usual at one of thelong picnic style tables. In fact, normally, Zoe didn't even takelunch in the cafeteria, opting instead to find a place to spend timealone. Not that day. She took a seat right next to the "in"crowd. Ella Cinder and her handsome boyfriend, Nick Monarch. Thebeautiful Aspen Briar and Aspen's friend Cailyn Pure. Truthfully,Zoe would expect to be told by her popular peers to buzz clear off. But in her effort to test her theory, she faced the threat of an uglyor hurtful confrontation and planted herself right next to Ella.

And, as she'dsuspected, it was like she wasn't even there. Zoe grinned broadly. She really was invisible.

***

After the last bellof the day dismissed the students, Zoe let the flow of them carry herhappily out of the building. The entire day had passed and not oneperson had noticed her.

Prior to herepiphany the preceding evening, Zoe had hated the lonely feeling ofbeing ignored. Unnoticed, unloved. And unassisted. There werethings she felt she needed to have noticed. She had many basic needsthat weren't met. She would've expected that SOMEBODY, some kindpeer, Good Samaritan, some teacher or other authority figure wouldnotice and rescue her from her misery. But that NEVER happened.

But suddenly, Zoesaw her invisibility differently. If no one wants to help me,Zoe thought, then I'll just help myself. Invisible peoplecould help themselves. To anything they wanted.

She hurried downthe street, rubbing together her icy hands and her breath plumed outin freezing puffs. She beamed. She could barely refrain fromgiggling.

"Zoe!"

Zoe stopped in hertracks, her heart immediately racing. She spun slowly around to finda spritely red head bouncing up behind her.

Jennifer Tide wasanother student from her class at school. Not one of the top tier ofkids, but not one of the bottom, either. She was short and pixielike with vibrant green eyes and flaming red hair that fell wildlydown past her waist. She was a nice enough girl; her worse flawbeing perhaps a tad boy crazy. But other than that, a decent girl. Zoe knew all about Jennifer Tide. But she wouldn't expect JenniferTide to know a single thing about her.

It made her nervousand a bit cranky. It sort of shot holes in her invisibility theory.

"Yes?"Zoe asked tersely.

"Hey,"Jennifer said with a lovely smile as she came alongside Zoe. "Wherewere you this morning?"

Zoe gave her a lookof utter bewilderment and resumed walking. Jennifer fell into stepwith her. "Um... What do you mean?"

"Well, I mean,why were you late? Going on eleven years of school together now. Idon't believe you've ever been late. I know, because I never havebeen either. So what's up?"

Zoe frowned. "Whydo you want to know?" she asked, immediately regretting hertone. Any other day she'd be thrilled to have someone expressinginterest in her.

But, the nightbefore, she'd turned a corner. She no longer welcomed the attention.

A hurt look passedover Jennifer's freckled face but she quickly recovered her friendlysmile. "Just worried about ya," she said kindly.