Chapter fifteen: Jacob Portman

Today is the day that Abe's grandson is to arrive. It has been some time since a Portman has stepped foot in our loop. Nothing in our loop has changed. Everyone does their usual chores and activities, although, what Miss Peregrine hasn't told anyone apart from me is that loops around the world are being struck down by Wights.

More and more we hear of loop raids and countless children losing their lives to feed the Wights and their accomplices. Miss Peregrine fears the same will happen to our loop. I simply told her we would be ready for action when we hear news of a Wight or Hollow on this island.

'He's here.' 

"I wonder how he will take the news?"

'I wonder if he will push you as Abe did.'

"I'm sure Jacob will be polite and not intrude on our peculiarities, as his grandfather did so many years ago."

"Angelica?"

"Yes, Enoch?"

"I've retrieved Aflie for you, he's being a bit squirmish."

'His wings are due soon.'

"Nothing to worry about Enoch, his wings are simply developing. Alfie is just uncomfortable about the movement under his skin."

"Ok, well I'm going to be working on some dolls if you'd like to join."

"Of course. Come along Alfie, why don't we cool that back of yours?" Alfie nodded furiously, which led Enoch and me to laugh a little. 

Enoch and I are extremely close, we hold hands sometimes and hug other times. Yet we never made anything official. I suppose right now, we are contempt with our relationship, I think. 

"So I hear Abe's grandson is coming for a visit." Enoch starts a conversation as we were just entering his room. 

"Yes, in fact, Jacob is here, he's entering the kitchen to have some tea."

"Why do you call him Jacob, you've never met the boy and after what Abe did to you and Alfie I'd say you're a bit too joyful about his arrival."

"Enoch, I believe Abe's grandson is slightly different to himself. Why wouldn't I call him Jacob, that is his name after all?"

"I don't like it, and I don't like him."

"Oh come on, I'm sure once we get to know him our minds may change. Don't look at me like that, I'm just as sceptical about him as you are."

"I've got to go down and get some jars, I'll be back."

"Okay." 

A few moments went by and I here arguing coming up the stairs. 

"Enoch, what is your problem?"

"What's going on?" I turn to Olive and Enoch.

"Enoch's upset about Jake being here."

"I am not, go and finish your tea party."

"Enoch, Olive was simply boiling the kettle. Isn't it time to help Emma with the baby squirrel?"

"Oh, look 'Jake' is already taking care of it."

"I guess I will leave him to you then."

"I suppose, or I could go down and introduce myself to the new boy."

Alfie led Olive out of the room, I heard her giggles from my response as she walks away.

"No, you aren't going anyway near him, I won't allow it." Enoch wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me closer to him.