13 | for real?

Thursday, 2:55 P.M.

I hadn't been in this damn cell for a whole minute and was already starting to feel claustrophobic.

Officer Tomato had unfortunately hooked the key to my cuffs on the wall opposite the cell door and taken the cell key back into the front part of the police station with him. Even if by some miracle I managed to get these cuffs off, I still had no way to get past all those cops out front, let alone out of this cell. I hadn't been this screwed since waking up in my birthday suit in the middle of the desert.

At least now I had clothes. Silver lining right there.

If I positioned myself at the very left corner of the cell, I could see all the way to the entrance. To the left of the glass doors was a slate-colored counter. The rest of the front looked just like an office building. Three desks laden with loose papers and stacked folders were occupied by two women and one man. All three seemed completely absorbed in their work, eyes darting from left to right at a constant pace. The low hum of conversation either from a TV or radio drifted all the way back here. Unfortunately, it was too quiet for me to understand.

Officer Tomato and his partner were just about to exit the station when a young woman with braided, waist-long black hair swiftly scooted past them. Before I could get a closer look, she darted to the left and out of sight. Although I'd only gotten a glimpse, there had been something strangely graceful about the way she'd moved through the door and past the cops.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who noticed. Officer Tomato was too busy staring after the woman that he just walked right into the glass door with a muffled thud. His partner and at least two colleagues erupted in a sudden fit of laughter, causing the idiot's facial color to return to the same shade that had earned him the nickname in the first place.

Suddenly, the entire station fell quiet and the distinct voice of a news reporter caught the attention of all officers in sight.

"...more and more reports from frightened campers not only in Yosemite National Park but also in and around Sequoia and Sierra National Forests," the excited voice was saying. "Campsites and recreational vehicles have been attacked and even destroyed in some cases. The National Park Service has not released an official statement, but our spokesperson of the Department of the Interior has advised any and all visitors to cancel their trips immediately."

Confused murmurs echoed through the station as more officers shuffled into view. They all seemed to be looking at something slightly beyond my line of sight.

"What the hell is that?" Officer Tomato asked.

"This video was just sent to us from inside the park by our correspondent at the Little Yosemite Valley Campground," the reporter said. "As you can see, what looks like an oversized black bear is just shredding that tent like there's no tomorrow."

"Is this for real?" Another officer who'd previously been sitting at his desk now stood and scratched the back of his head.

He was quickly shushed by his colleagues as the news reporter continued. "According to Dr. Strom, an ethologist from Eckert College, none of these animals are behaving rationally. They don't seem to be driven by any biological need. Experts believe a rare form of rabies may be responsible. We have to warn you again, these animals are extremely aggressive. That alone would be alarming enough under normal circumstances, but folks, they seem to have grown over night."

That's not disturbing at all.

"If you happen to be in the area and run into one of these, do not approach them. Stay in your vehicles, lock the doors, and drive away. If you happen to be outside, retreat as calmly as possible and find a safe location to wait this out."