12 || The Arrangement

Start from the beginning

Ignoring my statement, Adrik walks three steps forward, and flickers his eyes across my no doubtedly tired face. "You look terrible."

Unfazed by his statement, I lean back into his chair as it gives a heavy creak. "Would it make you hard if I said I was feeling it?"

Hid response is almost scripted."Not even the sight of you in pain is worth an ounce of my desire." Eyes roam across my form in disinterest with hints of disgust and I know he's eyeing my appearance.

I could feel the bags weighting my eyes down, the hollowness to my cheeks and the pressure building inside my head, on the brink of an explosion.

But my appearance was the last thing on my mind.

"So you've reconsidered my offer?" He cuts in, after a moment of silence.

"No." I offer simply, leaning back in his chair, the wood creaks once again, telling me it isn't meant to be tilted this far back but I couldn't care less.

He was getting what he wanted, but I wasn't giving it up so easily and in my partially drunk mind, that meant denying it even though I'd walked miles through the night to get here.

The blue in his eyes thin out as he narrows them in my direction, "Then why are you here?"

In truth, I hadn't entirely made up my mind, nor did I particularly have anywhere to go. But I do know that I'm not going to give him what he wants so easily.

Especially not when he was the catalyst to this all, meaning I won't be satisfied until he's joined everyone thats wronged me.

It just so happens that I'll have to save his downfall for last - until after I'm done using him.

I kick my feet up on his desk and pout at him. "I missed you."

His eyes move down to my shoes, I'd walked miles along the side of the road, my shoes were filthy.

His footsteps sound as he nears me, watching me like he's finally getting a good look at me, "Do you want to know how many Italians knew of your... situation?"

When he gets close enough to me, he kicks my feet off his desk.

With an eye roll, I force my exhausted body up and move to take a step away from him, not liking him this close when I'm feeling this exposed."I couldn't care less-"

He steps to the side, blocking my path while that heavy gaze of his tells me he thinks otherwise.

"About a dozen." So simple and straight forward. Like the fact that a dozen people I considered family knew I was being lied to was no surprise to him. "Even Alessio Galanti knew."

It would seem as though I'd reached another stage in this grief, this one an explosive anger so strong I need to take a step back and grip the wood of his desk in order to stable me.

Years.

For years I'd been scorned by any Italian I'd ever met, any family friend, uncle, or even cousin of my father's. I'd never been good enough in their eyes. I always thought the blatant disrespect they showed towards me had to do with the fact that I - my fathers only heir - was a woman.